Conceptual Physics: Solving Problems in Math & Science

In summary, the individual is struggling with basic physics problems and is seeking assistance in understanding which formulas to use and how to approach the problems. They are specifically having trouble with problems involving gravity and horizontal velocity. They are reminded to separate the vectors and use trigonometry.
be back in 10 minutes, corner store time for some beers.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok, now i have

X
a=0
Vo=8m/s
V=8m/s
d=?
t=.64s

y

a=9.81
Vo=0
V=6.26
d=2m
t=.64s

I keep trying to plug the equation only to cancel out most of the numbers and get D=T

When and if you get back on here, could you just run me through the steps when approached with these types of problems? maybe give me another example I could run through? I really appreciate the help here-

d=Vo(or Vf it's the same) X t

remember, distance = velocity X time

ok so my D=5.1 m/s/s

You run a car at 100 mph for 2 hours. How much distance will you travel ?

d = 100 x 2 = 200 miles

agreed, i understand the d=v/t formula, its the bigger one, that deals with this entire problem that i keep tripping on.

d = 8 m/s X 0.64s

meters/seconds X seconds

seconds/seconds = nil

only meters stay in unit.

yea, after i reread the problem i saw that i kept the s. So 5.1m is the distance the ball will end up at when i reaches the floor.

Was it so difficult ? :-)

totally! ahah, ok so i have a similar problem which has the same horiz velocity of 8m/s but instead height of the table they give me time(.24s). Do i work the problem the same way?

or can i just use the D=v/t

I think you have all the information you need.

Switch the variable in Y and resolve with the X equation like you did.

d=8(.24)+1/2(o)(.24*.24)

so the height of the table is 1.92m tall

Hummm.. as I reread your question, it would be it be if I was the teacher I would ask for the height of the table.

yea the problem is looking for the height of the shelf/table

you again mixed the X and Y.

1.92m is where the ball will hit the ground from the shelf, horizontally.

ok so the variables i have are

Vo=8m/s
a=0
t=.24s
d=1.92m

a=9.81m/s/s

Gimme some minutes, I will draw something.

I won't be leaving anytime soon, so take all the time you need. lol thanks.

There.

Attachments

• physics.jpg
    physics.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 399
See the big black line between X and Y ? That's on purpose. They are to be resolved SEPARATELY.

k, i ll try out the problem, give me a sec or 2

oops there's a error. it's "a = Vf X t² + Vo"

Sorry.

I was trying to make a good drawing lol

damn it misses a 0.5 too.

Anyway you have the formula. I drawed it very quickly

k so i did some computing and ended up with Vo=170.3125

and D= 41.15

I mixed up, it's my fault. I will correct my drawing gimme some minutes.

no worries.

ok, so I found Veloc of y =2.35m/s and Veloc of x =8m/s

I have 9.79m tall for the height

I corrected

(sorry I'm a little drunk, had problem with my integrals lol)

Attachments

• physics.jpg
    physics.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 405
its cool,

with that drawing, the D of X is 4m methinks

<h2>1. What is conceptual physics?</h2><p>Conceptual physics is a branch of physics that focuses on understanding the fundamental principles and concepts of the field, rather than just solving mathematical equations. It involves using critical thinking and reasoning skills to explain the natural phenomena around us.</p><h2>2. How is conceptual physics different from traditional physics?</h2><p>Traditional physics focuses on solving complex mathematical equations to explain physical phenomena, while conceptual physics focuses on understanding the underlying principles and concepts behind these phenomena. It is less mathematically intensive and more focused on critical thinking and problem-solving skills.</p><h2>3. How can conceptual physics help in solving problems in math and science?</h2><p>Conceptual physics teaches students to think critically and apply their knowledge of fundamental principles to solve problems, rather than just relying on memorized equations. This approach can be applied to both math and science problems, making it a valuable tool for problem-solving in various fields.</p><h2>4. What are some key topics covered in conceptual physics?</h2><p>Some key topics covered in conceptual physics include motion, forces, energy, electricity and magnetism, waves, and modern physics. These topics are explored through the lens of fundamental principles and concepts, rather than just equations and formulas.</p><h2>5. How can I improve my conceptual understanding of physics?</h2><p>To improve your conceptual understanding of physics, it is important to actively engage in critical thinking and problem-solving activities. This can include practicing thought experiments, participating in hands-on experiments, and discussing concepts with others. It is also helpful to regularly review and connect concepts to real-world examples.</p>

1. What is conceptual physics?

Conceptual physics is a branch of physics that focuses on understanding the fundamental principles and concepts of the field, rather than just solving mathematical equations. It involves using critical thinking and reasoning skills to explain the natural phenomena around us.

2. How is conceptual physics different from traditional physics?

Traditional physics focuses on solving complex mathematical equations to explain physical phenomena, while conceptual physics focuses on understanding the underlying principles and concepts behind these phenomena. It is less mathematically intensive and more focused on critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. How can conceptual physics help in solving problems in math and science?

Conceptual physics teaches students to think critically and apply their knowledge of fundamental principles to solve problems, rather than just relying on memorized equations. This approach can be applied to both math and science problems, making it a valuable tool for problem-solving in various fields.

4. What are some key topics covered in conceptual physics?

Some key topics covered in conceptual physics include motion, forces, energy, electricity and magnetism, waves, and modern physics. These topics are explored through the lens of fundamental principles and concepts, rather than just equations and formulas.

5. How can I improve my conceptual understanding of physics?

To improve your conceptual understanding of physics, it is important to actively engage in critical thinking and problem-solving activities. This can include practicing thought experiments, participating in hands-on experiments, and discussing concepts with others. It is also helpful to regularly review and connect concepts to real-world examples.