Dynamics - Normal and Tangential Check

In summary, the question asks to determine the maximum force P that can be applied to body A without causing the 6kg cylinder to leave it at point C, given that body A has a mass of 9kg and is resting on a smooth plane. Using Newton's Second Law and a free body diagram, the maximum force P is found to be 2.4N. The slow rate at which the force P is applied does not affect the solution.
desibabu90

Homework Statement

The question reads: Body A has a mass of 9kg and rests on a smooth plane. the force P applied to body A is increased from zero at a very slow rate. Determine the maximum force P that can be applied without causing the smooth 6-kg cylinder to leave body A at point C.

Homework Equations

Newton's Law: [tex]\Sigma[/tex]F = ma{tangential}

The Attempt at a Solution

If you look at my solution in the picture you will see my work. I am just not sure if that is right. Are we supposed to use the information given to us about the force P being applied very slowly? Is the free body diagram right?

Please help

Thanks.

There is a error in the picture where I didn't carry over the terms from the left side to the right side but the final answer is right and I just forgot to show it on the picture.

Attachments

• quiz.jpg
    quiz.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your work and asking for feedback. Your solution looks correct to me. The free body diagram is also correct, as it shows all the forces acting on the system and their directions.

As for the question about the force P being applied very slowly, it does not affect the solution in this case. Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Since the mass of the system (9kg + 6kg) remains constant, the maximum force P that can be applied without causing the cylinder to leave body A at point C will also remain constant, regardless of the rate at which the force is applied.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the difference between normal and tangential checks in dynamics?

The normal check in dynamics involves analyzing the forces acting perpendicular to the motion of an object, while the tangential check involves analyzing the forces acting parallel to the motion of an object.

2. Why are normal and tangential checks important in dynamics?

Normal and tangential checks help to ensure that the motion of an object is in equilibrium, without any unbalanced forces acting on it. This is important in accurately predicting the behavior of the object and avoiding any potential accidents or malfunctions.

3. How do you perform a normal check in dynamics?

To perform a normal check, you must first identify all the forces acting on an object and then resolve them into their components. The normal force can then be calculated by taking the sum of all the forces acting perpendicular to the motion of the object.

4. Can you give an example of a tangential check in dynamics?

One example of a tangential check is analyzing the forces acting on a car as it moves along a curved road. The normal force would be equal to the weight of the car, while the tangential force would be equal to the centripetal force required to keep the car moving in a circular path.

5. What factors can affect the results of a normal and tangential check in dynamics?

The results of a normal and tangential check can be affected by factors such as the mass of the object, the angle of the forces, and the coefficient of friction between the object and its surface. Other external forces, such as air resistance, can also impact the results.