Addition with a cantilevered balcony

• Thread starter ahunter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Addition
In summary: You will also need a layer of reinforcement around the block. In summary, the long span of the balcony will not be a problem if the foundations are heavy and deep enough.
ahunter
I am designing an addition with a cantilevered balcony and am wondering if it is physically possible. the deck is 24' long with 12' extended past I will be using W12 x 96 (massive) it will be held up with two rows of columns that are 12' apart. my question is if the foundation of the columns are heavy/deep enough will the long span be a problem?
see atacment

Attachments

• BALCONYPARTS.pdf
    158.7 KB · Views: 309
Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello ahunter an welcome.

What is your balcony for? a Helipad?

It seems a tad overdesigned compared to what I take to be the existing building wall and its foundation on the left.

underneath the part that isn't cantilevered will be three offices and the balcony will be for employees to take breaks and have our company grill outs. It is a bit overdesigned, and we were going for that look just to be different.

That doesn't explain the difference between what seems to be a simple srip foundation at the base of the (existing?) wall on the left and what appear to be bored pile foundations for the new flat roof.

the new foundaion is just there right now to show where it will be (size not correct). I have calculated the adition to weigh around 82,000 lbs (dead weight) and it will be suported by six (8 5/8 dia x 1/4"wall) columns. with a foundation for each of them. my question is how to caculate what the size of the footings will need to be for this weight and the cantilever.

I have absolutely no idea of the bearing capacity of your soil. Soil capacities vary greatly from less than half a ton per square foot for loose soil to over 100 tons per square foot for solid rock.

Particularly since this project is for acompany and employees you need to get a competent structural engineer, who knows local conditions and codes, to advise.

To get an idea of the foundation size take the weight on any column and divide by its area to get the foot pressure.

Now imagine this spreads out at 45 degrees from this level. As the area increases the load remains the same, so the pressure decreases. At some point this pressure equals to bearing competency of the soil.
This is your foundation level. You will need a block of concrete to fill the space between this level and the foot of the column. The area of the concrete block obviously equals the weight on the column divided by the allowable bearing pressure on your soil.

1. How does the addition of a cantilevered balcony affect the structural integrity of a building?

The addition of a cantilevered balcony can potentially weaken the structural integrity of a building if not properly designed and supported. The cantilevered balcony exerts additional forces on the building, which must be accounted for in the structural design.

2. What factors should be considered when adding a cantilevered balcony to a building?

Some important factors to consider include the weight of the balcony and its contents, the location and size of the balcony, the materials used for construction, and the existing structural design of the building. It is also important to consider any local building codes and regulations.

3. Is it possible to add a cantilevered balcony to an existing building?

Yes, it is possible to add a cantilevered balcony to an existing building. However, it may require additional structural reinforcement and careful planning to ensure the safety and stability of the building.

4. What are some potential benefits of adding a cantilevered balcony to a building?

A cantilevered balcony can provide additional outdoor space, enhance the aesthetics of a building, and increase its property value. It can also allow for better views and natural light into the building.

5. Are there any specific design considerations for adding a cantilevered balcony to a high-rise building?

Yes, there are specific design considerations for adding a cantilevered balcony to a high-rise building. The weight and size of the balcony must be carefully calculated to ensure it does not put too much stress on the building's structure. Wind loads and sway must also be taken into account, as well as the potential for snow accumulation on the balcony.