Living with a Vegas Nerve Stimulator: Solutions and Ideas

• Thread starter magnetboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary, our friend is hoping to find a way to use magnets to help him stop having epileptic seizures. He has come up with a possible solution involving a special neck brace and a special shirt that has magnets covering the device. However, he is still worried about the safety of the magnets and is hesitant to move forward with the project.
magnetboy
Hi,
I have a device in my chest that is similar in design to a pacemaker; except that I have a coil that goes from my chest to my brain. It is called a Vegas Nerve Stimulator. I want to work with grade N-52 magnets, but I am not even allowed to have a MRI because the magnetic energy would kill me. I am hoping that I can find some solution that will work. The one possible solution that I've come up with sounds highly uncomfortable, but here it is anyways. Making a special mu-metal brace for my neck and a special shirt that has mu-metal covering the box area. One problem I see with the shirt is that it couldn't be washed in a washing machine or dryer. I think the neck brace would work; although it will be harder to work with the magnets and I'll have a stiff neck.

Any other ideas are welcome! I welcome ones that don't sound as uncomfortable as my original idea.

Physics news on Phys.org

Other than removing the device, shielding the whole thing and reinserting it into you, i don't see an option that isn't uncomfortable.

Welcome to PF, friend.
One of our policies here is that we do not give medical advice since none of us are qualified to do so. (There are a couple of doctors and nurses here, but they certainly won't try to make any sort of diagnosis without personal contact.)
I'm pretty sure that the others will say the same thing that I'm going to. Have a good long sit-down with your doctor, and perhaps approach a biomedical engineer for advice. Do not, under any circumstances, mess about with any magnets until you have firm answers in hand. No matter how much you love your work, it isn't worth your life.
I can't even begin to comment about the mu-metal idea, since I've never even heard of it until this thread.

Danger, you are right. My life is more important than what I love. I decided to scale back about three steps in my project and use some basic 50 gauss magnets and design a small working model of my invention. What I find funny is that the 50 gauss magnets were actually designed to turn my VNS in my chest on and off. Now that the device in my chest is permanently turned off I use the magnets for experiments.

Okay... I didn't understand most of that, but I'm glad that you are taking a moderated approach to the situation.
Even if this issue is now a "done deal" for you, please remain as a member of PF. Be it friendship, scientific knowledge, humour... you have something to contribute which will make the site even better. Besides, you're the closest thing to a real-life version of Tony Stark that I'm ever likely to encounter. That's got to count for something. :biggrin:

Trust me, I'll be around. I never thought of Tony Stark and I at all alike, but the device he has in his chest and the one I have in my chest aren't that different. Mine can send electrical current to my brain when it is on.

magnetboy said:
Trust me, I'll be around. I never thought of Tony Stark and I at all alike, but the device he has in his chest and the one I have in my chest aren't that different. Mine can send electrical current to my brain when it is on.

Whats the purpose of this device if i may ask?

magnetboy said:
Mine can send electrical current to my brain when it is on.
My body occasionally transmits an electrical (neuronal) signal to my brain, whereupon I post. Otherwise, I'm pretty dormant.
By the bye, I do understand whatever level of pain you might feel at backing off from something that you want to do. The only time that I was ever happy in my entire life was when I was flying. Then, somewhere around 35 years ago, I came up diabetic. Apparently that is no longer an issue, but at that time someone with that condition was not allowed to possesses a pilot's license. My life was essentially ruined, and I have to say that discovering PF and becoming friends with the more constant members has saved me. It's not quite a substitute for meaningless recreational sex, but it's better than nothing.

Drakkith said:
Whats the purpose of this device if i may ask?

It is to stop Epileptic Seizures by sending electrical pulses to the vegas nerve in the brain every five minutes. The level of electricity sent to the vegas nerve via the coil that is connected into the Vegas nerve is set via a wand programmed to communicate with the device. Yes, I literally have a coil that you can see slightly bulging in my neck and a box in my chest. I don't mind it that much. It served its purpose. I can have the box removed, but not the coil because it is connected to my brain and if removed could result in death or severe brain injury.

Ah i see.

magnetboy said:
It is to stop Epileptic Seizures by sending electrical pulses to the vegas nerve in the brain every five minutes.
Holy sheepgarbage! You're the Terminal Man! Does Crichton know that you're running around loose?

1. What is a Vegas Nerve Stimulator (VNS) and how does it work?

A VNS is a small device that is surgically implanted under the skin in the chest area. It works by delivering electrical impulses to the vagus nerve, which is one of the body's primary nerves responsible for regulating many functions such as heart rate, breathing, and digestion. This stimulation can help control seizures and improve overall quality of life for individuals with certain types of epilepsy.

2. What are some common side effects of living with a VNS?

Some common side effects of a VNS may include hoarseness, throat irritation, coughing, and shortness of breath. In rare cases, there may be more serious side effects such as changes in mood or behavior. It's important to discuss any concerns with your doctor and regularly monitor your VNS to ensure it is working properly.

3. Can I still take my seizure medication while using a VNS?

Yes, most individuals who use a VNS will still need to take their seizure medication as prescribed by their doctor. The VNS is meant to be used in conjunction with medication to provide better seizure control. It's important to continue taking medication as directed and not make any changes without consulting your doctor.

4. Will I need to make any lifestyle changes after getting a VNS?

In most cases, individuals can continue with their normal lifestyle after getting a VNS. However, there may be some restrictions on certain activities such as swimming or contact sports. It's important to discuss any potential lifestyle changes with your doctor to ensure the safety and effectiveness of your VNS.

5. How do I manage and care for my VNS?

Your doctor will provide specific instructions on how to manage and care for your VNS, but in general, you will need to keep the area clean and dry, avoid magnets and strong electromagnetic fields, and regularly check the battery life. Your doctor will also schedule regular appointments to monitor and adjust your VNS as needed.