Projector optics (help needed )

In summary, the conversation involves the need to design a projector using a fresnel lens and a projection lens. The required equations and distances for the lenses and the screen are discussed. The focal lengths of the lenses are known, but the distances between the lenses and the screen need to be calculated. The person seeking help is advised to search for fresnel lens equations online. After some back and forth, equations for the focal lengths and magnification are suggested.
sharp81
hi,
i am in need of help pretty quickly here.i will have to design a projector design using a fresnel lens and the projection lens.i need to find and derive the equations for the lenses and calculate the distances between the lenses and the lens and the screen.
this is what i require to have :
d1 - distance from the light source to the fresnel lens
d2 - distance between the fresnel and the projection lens
d3 - distance between the projection lens and the screen
f1,f2 - focal lengths of the fresnel lens
f3,f4 - focal lengths of the projection lens
In my case i know the values of the focal lengths and the distance between the light source and the fresnel lens.

i will have to find d2 and d3. also i need to find the net magnification factor for the light source which will be my object.
any help will be greatly appreciated.
harish

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Harish

The equations you are looking for are standard equations that can be found on the Internet. Start by looking up google.com for fresnel lenses and their mathematical basis. You may not get exactly what you want but with a bit of hard work, you'll reach quite close to the desired form of equations.

Try normankoren.com (I am not sure if they have all this but the site is worth visiting anyway if you're interested in cameras/photography/lenses/optics).

Cheers
Vivek

i have looked over the net but haven't found anything related to fresnel lens equations

sharp81 said:
i have looked over the net but haven't found anything related to fresnel lens equations

That I can't digest :-D...try googling it. Try copernic, webferret, etc.

i am thinking these are going to be my focal length equations tell me if they are right
f1 = d1
1/f2 = 1/d1 + 1/(d2+d3)
1/f3 = 1/d2 + 1/d3
Magnification = d3/d2

1. What are projector optics?

Projector optics refer to the components of a projector that are responsible for producing and projecting the image onto a screen. This includes the lens, mirrors, and other optical elements that work together to manipulate and focus light.

2. How do projector optics work?

Projector optics work by using lenses to focus light from a light source, such as a lamp or LED, onto a small chip called a Digital Light Processing (DLP) chip. The DLP chip contains tiny mirrors that reflect the light and create an image. The image is then projected through a lens onto a screen.

3. What is the role of the lens in projector optics?

The lens in projector optics is responsible for focusing the light from the light source onto the DLP chip. It also helps to shape and direct the light to produce a clear and sharp image on the screen. Different types of lenses, such as zoom lenses and fixed focal length lenses, can be used to adjust the size and clarity of the projected image.

4. How can I improve the image quality of my projector?

To improve the image quality of a projector, you can adjust the positioning and focus of the projector optics. You can also clean the lens and mirrors to ensure they are free of dust and debris. Additionally, using a higher quality lens or upgrading to a projector with better optics can also improve image quality.

5. Are there any common issues with projector optics?

One common issue with projector optics is image distortion or blurriness, which can be caused by dust or damage to the lens or mirrors. Another issue is the presence of "dead pixels" on the DLP chip, which can result in dark spots on the projected image. These issues can often be resolved by cleaning or replacing the affected components.