Acceleration of masses connected with string, non massless pulley

In summary, the student is trying to figure out how to solve a physics problem. They are falling behind in class due to an illness, and they need help from the community. They miss one day of class, and if they can figure out what to do with the pulley, the rest of the problems should make sense. However, they are not sure what to do with the pulley or what the torque might be.
AHinkle

Homework Statement

pulley.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F = ma
[tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\tau[/tex]=I[tex]\alpha[/tex]
?

The Attempt at a Solution

m1 = 1 Kg
m2 = 8 Kg
[tex]\theta[/tex] = 33 degrees
mpulley = 7 Kg
rpulley = .11 m
[tex]\mu[/tex] = 0.27
g = 9.8 m/s2

My attempt, I'm falling behind in class due to an illness and I can figure this out as long as the pulley is massless and frictionless but I'm not sure what do with the pulley. I missed that day. If I can get an idea as to what do with it the rest of the problems should make sense, thanks for the help.

for m1
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx= T - f1 = m1a
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy= N - m1g = 0
N = mg

f1 = [tex]\mu[/tex]N = (0.27)(1.0Kg)(9.8 m/s2) = 2.646 N

for m2
I assume that because they are connected by an string a1 = a2?
is my assumption still correct with a non-massless pulley? also for the block on the incline
I put the x-axis along the incline

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx = m2gsin[tex]\theta[/tex]- T - f2
Also is my assumption correct that the tension in the string (T) should still be the same on both sides of the pulley?
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy = N - mgcos[tex]\theta[/tex]
N = mgcos[tex]\theta[/tex]

f2 = (0.27)(8.0Kg)(9.8m/s2) = 21.168 N

I added the equations together (T's cancel)

m2gsin[tex]\theta[/tex] - T + T - f2 - f1 = (m1 + m2)a

(8.0)(9.8)sin(33) - (21.168) - (2.646) = 9.0a

a = 6.0643 m/s2
This is obviously not the correct answer, plus I didnt use the pulley information at all..

for then I thought.. maybe i'll find the torque on the pulley
[tex]\Sigma\tau[/tex]=I[tex]\alpha[/tex]

I [tex]\approx[/tex] mpulleyr2
I [tex]\approx[/tex] (7.0Kg)(0.11m)2 = .0847 Kg*m2

[tex]\Sigma\tau[/tex] = Trpulley
T - f1 = m1a

I don't know a or I don't trust the value I have up there are least.
but a = r[tex]\alpha[/tex]
so maybe
T = m1a - f1
T = m1(r[tex]\alpha[/tex])-2.646 N

I could just go around in circles forever..
Can someone help me figure out.
1) How does the pulley factor into this?
2) Is the tension in the string still the same on both sides of the pulley?
3) Is the acceleration of both blocks still the same because they're connected by the string?
4) am I even going in the right direction with how to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ignore this, as I missed the information for the pulley.

Duh, me...

Last edited:
AHinkle said:
I could just go around in circles forever..
Can someone help me figure out.
1) How does the pulley factor into this?
2) Is the tension in the string still the same on both sides of the pulley?
3) Is the acceleration of both blocks still the same because they're connected by the string?
4) am I even going in the right direction with how to solve this?
1) The pulley needs some torque to accelerate its rotation.
2) No, the tension is different on the both sides of the pulley and the difference of the torques will accelerate the rotation of the pulley
3) Yes.

As there is no mention about the friction between the string and pulley, it can be assumed big enough so as the string does not slip. If so, the linear speed of the rim of the pulley is the same as the speed of the string, so v=ωR.

4) For m2, the component of gravity along the slope (and string) is m2gsinθ, and the normal component is N= m2g cosθ.

You have two write equations also for the pulley.

ehild

how (in what form) would i write equations for the pulleys..

would it be F = ma
or would it be in the form [tex]\tau[/tex]=I[tex]\alpha[/tex]?
i've got to leave for work but
would they look like

[tex]\tau[/tex] = T1 - (something) = I[tex]\alpha[/tex]

i mean would they be analagous to F = ma equation but with diff. vars? with rotational instead of translational variables?

Both tensions produce a torque, they are of opposite sign and the net torque is equal to Iα.

ehild

1. How does the acceleration of a mass connected with a string and non-massless pulley affect the overall system?

The acceleration of the mass connected with the string and non-massless pulley will determine the acceleration of the entire system. This means that if the mass has a greater acceleration, the system as a whole will also have a greater acceleration.

2. How does the mass of the pulley affect the acceleration of the system?

The mass of the pulley does not affect the acceleration of the system. This is because the pulley is considered to be non-massless, meaning it has a negligible mass compared to the other masses in the system. Therefore, it does not contribute to the overall acceleration.

3. What is the relationship between the tension in the string and the acceleration of the masses?

The tension in the string is directly proportional to the acceleration of the masses. This means that as the tension in the string increases, the acceleration of the masses will also increase. Similarly, if the tension decreases, the acceleration will also decrease.

4. Can the acceleration of the masses connected with the string and pulley be different?

Yes, the acceleration of the masses can be different. This is because the acceleration of each mass depends on its individual mass and the net force acting on it. However, the acceleration of the entire system will be the same due to the constraint of the string and the non-massless pulley.

5. How does the direction of the acceleration of the masses affect the direction of the tension in the string?

The direction of the tension in the string is always opposite to the direction of the acceleration of the masses. This is because the string is under tension and is pulling the masses in the opposite direction of their acceleration to keep the system in equilibrium.