Exploring Magnetic Traps: Can They Create Bose-Einstein Condensate?

In summary: So the record for holding the most atoms in a condensate is probably shorter than the life of the condensate.
Kalrag
Lately I've been wondering how magnetic traps work. So can anyone tell me how they work, How long they can hold atoms and if they can achieave Bose-Einstein Condensate? Also I have been wondering if they could hold several grams of atoms and then create the Bose-Einstein Effect. Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Magnetic traps work by essentially creating a gradient in the magnetic field. As you may know, atoms possesses a magnetic moment. This is why they have a potential energy:

[tex]
U = -\mathbf{\mu} \cdot \mathbf{B}
[/tex]

The negative gradient of this potential energy determines the force:

[tex]
\mathbf{F} = -\nabla U = \nabla(\mathbf{\mu} \cdot \mathbf{B}) = \nabla(\mathbf{\mu} \cdot \stackrel{\downarrow}{\mathbf{B}})
[/tex]

In the adiabatic approximation, we neglect the possible precession of the magnetic moment of the atoms and assume that they are always aligned along the magnetic field line, i.e.

[tex]
\mathbf{\mu} = \mu \, \hat{\mathbf{b}}
[/tex]

However, using:

[tex]
\nabla B = \nabla (B^{2})^{\frac{1}{2}} = \nabla (\mathbf{B} \cdot \mathbf{B})^{\frac{1}{2}} = \frac{1}{2} \, (\mathbf{B} \cdot \mathbf{B})^{-\frac{1}{2}} \nabla (\mathbf{B} \cdot \mathbf{B}) = \frac{1}{B} \nabla (\mathbf{B} \cdot \stackrel{\downarrow}{\mathbf{B}}) = \nabla(\hat{\mathbf{b}} \cdot \stackrel{\downarrow}{\mathbf{B}})
[/tex]

we may write the force as:

[tex]
\mathbf{F} = \mu \nabla B
[/tex]

If [itex]\mu > 0[/itex], then this force is in the same direction as the gradient of the intensity of the magnetic field. This means it is directed in the direction where the intensity increases. Such atoms are called high-field seekers. On the contrary, atoms with [itex]\mu < 0[/itex] are called low field seekers. This means that atoms can have stable equilibrium in points where the intensity of the magnetic field is maximal or minimal.

There is a theorem in Classical Electrodynamics that states that the magnetic field cannot have a local maximum in intensity in a space with no currents present. Thus, high-field seekers cannot be trapped.

For low-field seekers, we can produce a local minimum if we create a point where [itex]\mathbf{B} = \mathbf{0}[/itex]. This may be achieved by using two anti-Helmholtz coils (the currents are directed in opposite directions, so that the fields cancel in the region between the two). This kind of field configuration is known as a quadrupole magnetic field. Near the point where the field vanishes (assuming axial symmetry), the magnetic field is approximately:

[tex]
\mathbf{B} = B' \left\langle x, y, -2 z \right\rangle
[/tex]

and the magnitude then becomes:

[tex]
B = B' \left(x^{2} + y^{2} + 4 z^{2}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}
[/tex]

The potential energy is:

[tex]
U = \mu \, B' \, \left(x^{2} + y^{2} + 4 z^{2}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}
[/tex]

Thanks. Now that I know how they work, can they create a fair amount of the Bose-Einstein Condensate for a long period of time?

One of the pioneering papers on the subject (Science 269, 198 (1995)) reported that a condensate fraction of 87Rb atoms first appeared at 170 nK with a central density [itex]2.5 \times 10^{12} \, \mathrm{cm}^{-3}[/ite x] and they managed to contain it for 15 s. They had about 2,000 atoms in the condensate.

Now is it possible to take a gram or more of atoms and then create the Bose-Einstein condensate? I guess what I am trying to say is if you can freeze not just 2 thousand atoms but 5 grams worth of atoms.

I don't know what the current record is. The problem is that during evaporative cooling, you lose a large fraction of your initial atoms.

1. What is a Bose-Einstein Condensate (BEC)?

A Bose-Einstein Condensate is a state of matter where a large number of particles, typically atoms, are cooled to near absolute zero temperature. In this state, the particles begin to behave as a single entity, exhibiting quantum effects at a macroscopic scale.

2. How are magnetic traps used to create BECs?

Magnetic traps use strong magnetic fields to confine and cool a cloud of atoms to near absolute zero temperature. By using a combination of radio frequency fields and lasers, scientists are able to manipulate the atoms and create a BEC.

3. What are the advantages of using magnetic traps over other methods of creating BECs?

Magnetic traps offer several advantages over other methods of creating BECs. They are relatively simple and inexpensive to set up, and they can trap and cool a large number of atoms at once. They also allow for precise control and manipulation of the BEC, making them useful for studying quantum phenomena.

4. What are some potential applications of BECs?

BECs have potential applications in various fields such as quantum computing, precision measurements, and creating new types of sensors. They can also be used to simulate complex physical systems and study fundamental physics principles.

5. What challenges do scientists face when working with BECs in magnetic traps?

One of the main challenges of working with BECs in magnetic traps is maintaining the ultra-cold temperatures necessary for creating and studying the BEC. Any external disturbances, such as vibrations or electromagnetic interference, can disrupt the delicate balance needed for the BEC to form and be maintained. Another challenge is controlling and manipulating the BEC without destroying it, as the quantum effects of the BEC are very sensitive to external forces.