Graph/analyze a function of a rational /w complex root?

In summary, we are analyzing the function y=x^2/(x^2+3) by looking at its domain, intercepts, symmetry, vertical and horizontal asymptotes, and critical numbers. We also use first and second derivatives to determine intervals of increase/decrease and concavity. In our class, we do not work with complex numbers/roots, so we simply state that the vertical asymptotes do not exist. The intervals we test for increase/decrease and concavity are (-infinity,0), (0,infinity), (-infinity,-1), (-1,1), and (1,infinity).
Saterial
graph/analyze a function of a rational /w complex root?!?

Homework Statement

The function is y=x^2/(x^2+3)

Homework Equations

First and Second Derivatives
Chart to find intervals of increase/decrease and concavity.

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Domain
{XeR}
2) Intercepts
If x=0, y=0
(0,0) is the only intercept.
3) Symmetry
(-x,y) = (x,y) therefore, even.
4) Vertical Asymptotes
My question here is, since the "asymptote" would technically be the sqroot of 3i, in my class we don't use complex numbers/roots so would I simply answer this as "does not exist" or saw it equals 0?
5) Horizontal Asymptote
lim x->+- infinity 1
y=1
6) Slant Asymptotes
none
7) First Derivative
dy/dx = 6x/(x^2+3)^2 (quotient rule)
8) Second Derivative
d2y/dx2 = -18(x+1)(x-1)/(x^2+3)^3 (quotient rule + chain rule)
9) Critical numbers
Set first deriv equal to 0, critical number is x=0
10) Intervals of Increase/Decrease
This is where I start having trouble. Now I know that in order to find the values of increase and decrease, you need to use your critical numbers and restrictions. The method given to use to find the intervals is to plug it into a chart and see at which intervals is the graph positive or negative. However, my question is, what would the intervals I test be? Since my restriction is a complex root and we don't work with those in our class; what would I use for my intervals? Simply (-infinity, 0), (0, infinity) ? and my values I would be testing for are 6x, and (x^2+3)^2 ?
11) Concavity
Set second deriv = to 0. Would my x values be +-1 and again, would I use anything for restriction, use 0 as an interval ? or?
12) Intervals of Concavity
This, I also have a similar issue to finding just like intervals of increase/decrease, what intervals would I be using? Do I include anything in intervals that relates to restrictions? or do I simply use (-infinity,-1),(-1,1) and (1,infinity) ? and the binomials/intervals I would be testing these in are, -(x+1), -(x-1), and (x^2+3)^3?

Any help would GREATLY be appreciated, I can't figure out this root issue.

Physics news on Phys.org

Saterial said:
4) Vertical Asymptotes
My question here is, since the "asymptote" would technically be the sqroot of 3i, in my class we don't use complex numbers/roots so would I simply answer this as "does not exist" or saw it equals 0?

You are right; The asymptote would be at 3i and -3i. But we only work with real numbers. And since there are no real asymptotes, we just say that the asymptote does not exist.

10) Intervals of Increase/Decrease
This is where I start having trouble. Now I know that in order to find the values of increase and decrease, you need to use your critical numbers and restrictions. The method given to use to find the intervals is to plug it into a chart and see at which intervals is the graph positive or negative. However, my question is, what would the intervals I test be? Since my restriction is a complex root and we don't work with those in our class; what would I use for my intervals? Simply (-infinity, 0), (0, infinity) ? and my values I would be testing for are 6x, and (x^2+3)^2 ?

Correct again. You split up your domain in (-infinity,0) and (0,infinity). And on these two pieces you check whether your first derivative is negative/positive.

11) Concavity
Set second deriv = to 0. Would my x values be +-1 and again, would I use anything for restriction, use 0 as an interval ? or?

Your x values are +-1.

12) Intervals of Concavity
This, I also have a similar issue to finding just like intervals of increase/decrease, what intervals would I be using? Do I include anything in intervals that relates to restrictions? or do I simply use (-infinity,-1),(-1,1) and (1,infinity) ? and the binomials/intervals I would be testing these in are, -(x+1), -(x-1), and (x^2+3)^3?

Correct again, you split up the domain in (-infinity,-1), (-1,1) and (1,infinity). Then in each of these parts you check whether your second derivative is negative/positive.

1. What is a rational function with a complex root?

A rational function with a complex root is a function in which the denominator contains an imaginary number (i) and the numerator and denominator are both polynomials. This results in the function having a complex root, which is a solution to the function that involves an imaginary number.

2. How do you graph a rational function with a complex root?

To graph a rational function with a complex root, you can use the same techniques as graphing a regular rational function. First, find the x and y intercepts by setting the numerator and denominator equal to 0. Then, plot these points and use the shape of the function to draw the graph. However, since there is a complex root, the graph may have a "break" or "hole" in it where the imaginary number is located.

3. How do you analyze a rational function with a complex root?

To analyze a rational function with a complex root, you can look at the behavior of the function as the input (x) approaches the complex root. If the function approaches a specific value, the complex root is considered a "removable singularity" and can be filled in to make the function continuous. If the function approaches infinity, the complex root is considered a "nonremovable singularity" and the graph will have a "break" or "hole" at that point.

4. Can a rational function with a complex root have real solutions?

Yes, a rational function with a complex root can have real solutions. This occurs when the imaginary part of the complex root is equal to 0. In this case, the complex root becomes a real number and the function behaves similarly to a regular rational function.

5. How can you use the complex root of a rational function to solve equations?

The complex root of a rational function can be used to solve equations by setting the function equal to 0 and factoring the numerator and denominator. The complex root can then be used to solve for the variable in the equation. Additionally, if there are multiple complex roots, they can be used to solve for multiple solutions to the equation.