How bad is a C in Physics for a math major?

In summary, the speaker is a second-year math major who is considering going to grad school. They had excellent grades last year, but this year their grades have dropped due to skipping class and having too much fun. They are concerned about how this will affect their chances of getting into grad school, but according to their graduate math friends, math professors only care about math and do not pay attention to other subjects.
uman
Hi guys, I'm a second-year math major planning on grad school. Last year I got nearly perfect grades; my only B was in English. This year I've done much worse, getting two Bs in computer science, a C in physics, and (probably) a B in Chinese language (a class I am just taking for fun -- I don't actually need to). Luckily I'm still getting As in abstract algebra and in real analysis.

It's not that I can't handle the material... I just had too much fun this semester and skipped too much class. Assuming I can get back on the straight and narrow, how much will this bump in the road hurt my chances?

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt any math prof/adviser/authority figure will care. According to my graduate math friends, the only thing math professors care about is math and comic strips that contain math humor. When it comes to the sciences or applying mathematics, they could care less. i.e. look at the history behind fractals.

I'm not sure what you mean.

1. How will a C in Physics affect my math major?

A C in Physics will most likely not have a significant impact on your math major. While Physics and math are related, they are separate fields and a C in one subject does not necessarily reflect your abilities in the other. As long as you continue to do well in your math courses, a C in Physics should not be a major concern.

2. Will a C in Physics hurt my chances of getting into graduate school for math?

Graduate schools typically look at your overall academic performance, not just one specific grade. A C in Physics may raise some questions, but if you have a strong overall GPA and excel in your math courses, it should not greatly impact your chances of getting into graduate school for math.

3. Is it common for math majors to struggle in Physics?

Every student has their own strengths and weaknesses. While some math majors may excel in Physics, others may find it more challenging. It is important to remember that struggling in one subject does not define your abilities as a math major.

4. Should I retake the course to get a better grade?

Retaking a course is a personal decision and should be carefully considered. If you feel that you did not fully understand the material and would benefit from retaking the course, then it may be worth considering. However, if you feel comfortable with your understanding of the material and are doing well in your other math courses, a C in Physics may not be worth retaking.

5. Will employers care about a C in Physics on my transcript?

Most employers will not look at specific grades on your transcript, but rather your overall GPA and the skills and experiences you have to offer. A C in Physics should not greatly impact your job prospects as a math major, as long as you have a strong overall academic record and can demonstrate your skills and knowledge in mathematics.