Decay Method and Time of Nucleus

In summary, the conversation discusses the types of decay and the time of decay for an atomic nucleus. It is mentioned that all nuclei can theoretically decay in all ways, but the probabilities are usually higher for a specific type, depending on the mass and proton/neutron numbers of the nucleus. The decay time is determined by the type of interaction governing the decay, with alpha decay being the fastest and gamma decay being the slowest. It is clarified that the original question is about the time of the decay itself, not the half-life, and it is stated that nuclei do not have one set decay type but can decay in multiple ways. The suggestion is made to read the Wikipedia article on 'Radioactive decay' for more information.
Dragonetti
Hi,
I have a question regarding the types of decay and the time of decay for an atomic nucleus.

Do all nuclei have a set decay time and method, (by method I mean Alpha, Beta, Gamma decay). i.e. does Uranium only decay via beta decay over a set time?

Or can an nucleus decay by any of the decay methods and by any amount of time?

Thanks
Dominic

Physics news on Phys.org
Theoretically I think all nuclei can decay in all kinds of ways. However the probabilities are usually much, much larger for a specific type of decay, which type depends on the specific nucleus we're talking about. For example, a very heavy nucleus almost exclusively decays by alpha decay or fission whereas this is more uncommon for lighter nuclei. A neutron- or proton-rich nucleus can decay by beta decay to optimize its proton-neutron ratio. In short, the type of preferred decay depends on the mass and proton/neutron numbers of the nucleus.

I think the decay time is largely determined by the type of interaction governing the decay, i.e. strong force (dominant over em force I think) for alpha decay, weak force for beta and em force for gamma decay. Now, I'm not sure but I think alpha decay is fastest, followed by beta decay and last gamma. (Please correct me if this is wrong).

Decay rate is dependent on the nucleus involved, not just the type of decay. U-238 decay is alpha, with a very long half life.

I think we're discussing different times here. I may have been unclear, but I was referring to the time of the decay itself, not the half-life, i.e. the time from start of decay until the decay is finished.

What type of time was your original question about, Dragonetti? If you are talking about half-life then yes, a specific nucleus has a set half-life for a certain decay. For Uranium, the preferred decays will be different for different isotopes. 235-U for example, which is the fuel used in fission reactors, is fissile and fissions spontaneusly (right? I'm a bit uncertain as to whether you have to use thermal neutrons or if they just increase the reaction rate?) whereas 238-U mainly decays by beta decay.

So I think the answer to your questions (if I've interpreted them correctly) would be that, no a nucleus does not have one set decay type, it can in general decay in more than one way. The half-life for a given type of decay in a nucleus would be the same though (although I'm assuming you know that decay is a random process, we can not say definitely that all nuclei in a sample will decay after a certain time).

Do all nuclei have a set decay time and method, (by method I mean Alpha, Beta, Gamma decay). i.e. does Uranium only decay via beta decay over a set time?

Or can an nucleus decay by any of the decay methods and by any amount of time?

kloptok said:
I think we're discussing different times here. I may have been unclear, but I was referring to the time of the decay itself, not the half-life, i.e. the time from start of decay until the decay is finished.

I believe the decay effectively happens instantly.

Instantaneously in the context of seconds and minutes yes, but there must take some time for the decay process to happen. Anyway, I really don't know much about this and I don't think it was the question intended by the thread starter. Therefore I'm as of now officially out of this discussion.:smile:

A suggestion for you Dragonetti is to look at the Wiki article on 'Radioactive decav'. I skimmed through it and it seems like you can read about why certain nucei have a preference towards certain types of decay.

What is the decay method?

The decay method is a process used to determine the age of a nucleus by measuring the rate at which it decays into smaller particles.

How does the decay method work?

The decay method works by measuring the amount of radioactive material in a sample and calculating the rate of decay. This rate can then be used to determine the age of the nucleus.

What is the half-life of a nucleus?

The half-life of a nucleus is the amount of time it takes for half of the radioactive material in a sample to decay into other particles.

What factors can affect the half-life of a nucleus?

The half-life of a nucleus can be affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure, as well as internal factors such as the type of nucleus and its energy level.

What is the significance of studying the decay method and time of nucleus?

Studying the decay method and time of nucleus is important for understanding the fundamental processes of nuclear physics and for accurately dating geological and archaeological materials. It also has practical applications in fields such as medicine, environmental science, and energy production.