Radioactivity homework help

In summary, in order to calculate the composition of a mixture of Pu239 and Pu240 with a specific activity of 6 x 10^9 dps and half-lives of 2.44 x 10^4 years and 6.58 x 10^3 years respectively, you can use the equation A = λN, where A is the activity in disintegrations/sec, λ is the average disintegration constant, and N is the total number of atoms. However, since there are two different isotopes present, you cannot simply take the average of the disintegration constants. Instead, you must use the equations A239 = (λ239)(N239) and A240 = (λ240)(N240) to
zorro

Homework Statement

A mixture of Pu239 and Pu240 has a specific activity of 6 x 109 dps. The half-lives of the isotopes are 2.44 x 104 years and 6.58 x 103 years respectively. Calculate the composition of the mixture.

The Attempt at a Solution

&space;+&space;\frac{100-a}{240}=\frac{1.41\times&space;10^{23}}{6.023\times&space;10^{23}}.gif

The last equation does not give permissible values.

39% and 61%

Physics news on Phys.org

Using:

[tex]A = \lambda N[/tex]

where A is the activity in disintegrations/sec, [itex]\lambda = ln2/T_{half}[/itex] in seconds, and N is the number of atoms. The number of seconds in one year is 365.25 x 24 x 60 x 60 = 3.16 x 10^7 seconds

In one second the number of disintegrations from PU239 is:

[tex]A_{239} = \frac{\ln 2}{2.44 \times 10^4 \times 3.16 \times 10^7}N_{239}[/tex]

Similarly for PU240

[tex]A_{240} = \frac{\ln 2}{6.58 \times 10^4 \times 3.16 \times 10^7}N_{240}[/tex]

So the total activity is:

[tex]A_{239} + A_{240} = \frac{\ln 2}{2.44 \times 10^4 \times 3.16 \times 10^7}N_{239} + \frac{\ln 2}{6.58 \times 10^4 \times 3.16 \times 10^7}N_{240}[/tex]

We know that total activity = 6 x 10^9 dps. This is for one gram. Work out N_239 in terms of N_240. This is a little tricky if you want to do it really accurately. But because they are so close in atomic mass, you can use an average molecular weight of 239 or 240 grams/mole and get sufficient accuracy.

AM

Last edited:

Hi AM,
I would be very grateful if you would explain me what is wrong with my solution.

Abdul Quadeer said:
Hi AM,
I would be very grateful if you would explain me what is wrong with my solution.
You are using just N. To understand why you can't do that, compare my equation with yours. Are they the same? Why are you using N? What does N represent?

Work out A239 and A240 for one gram of each element using the equations I have given you. Then determine the percentage of each element that you must have in order to have A239 + A240 = 6 x 10^9

AM

You are using just N. To understand why you can't do that, compare my equation with yours. Are they the same? Why are you using N? What does N represent?

I took the average disintegration constant for both the disintegrations by adding them (which is also done when a particular atom disintegrates in two parallel pathways). N is the total number of atoms of both the isotopes present at any instant.

Abdul Quadeer said:
I took the average disintegration constant for both the disintegrations by adding them (which is also done when a particular atom disintegrates in two parallel pathways). N is the total number of atoms of both the isotopes present at any instant.
What is your reasoning for stating:

[tex]\lambda = \frac{\ln 2}{3.15 \times 10^7 \times (2.44 \times 10^4 + 6.58 \times 10^3)}[/tex]?

AM

It's

ce;\frac{1}{2.44\times&space;10^{4}}+\frac{1}{6.58\times&space;10^{3}}&space;\right&space;).gif

I took the total (average) disintegration constant assuming the total disintegration to occur only in a single process. N includes the sum of atoms of both isotopes.

Attachments

• ce;\frac{1}{2.44\times&space;10^{4}}+\frac{1}{6.58\times&space;10^{3}}&space;\right&space;).gif
    ce;\frac{1}{2.44\times&space;10^{4}}+\frac{1}{6.58\times&space;10^{3}}&space;\right&space;).gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 338

Abdul Quadeer said:
It's

I took the total (average) disintegration constant assuming the total disintegration to occur only in a single process. N includes the sum of atoms of both isotopes.
By averaging the disintegration constants, are you not assuming that there are equal parts of each isotope?

Are you really averaging the constants here? Would an average not be:

[tex]\lambda_{avg} = \frac{\lambda_{239} + \lambda_{240}}{2}[/tex] ?

AM

Actually I got this idea from a different problem. In that problem, a radioactive isotope disintegrates into two particles with disintegration constants λ1 and λ2. There the solution uses the formula saying (λ1+λ2) to be the average disintegration constant.
A = (λ1+λ2)N

But I think this is applicable only for one particular isotope. Here there are two different isotopes so that method can't be used (don't know why).

Abdul Quadeer said:
Actually I got this idea from a different problem. In that problem, a radioactive isotope disintegrates into two particles with disintegration constants λ1 and λ2. There the solution uses the formula saying (λ1+λ2) to be the average disintegration constant.
A = (λ1+λ2)N

But I think this is applicable only for one particular isotope. Here there are two different isotopes so that method can't be used (don't know why).
I don't know why you would take the average. I suggest you use the simple approach I have suggested.

AM

Abdul Quadeer said:

In the case of one type of atom disintegrating in two different ways, of course there is only one N.

I this case, you have two different atoms. The whole idea is to find N239/N240 (or something similar) for the sample!

Thanks!

What is radioactivity and why is it important to study?

Radioactivity is the spontaneous and unpredictable emission of particles or energy from the unstable nucleus of an atom. It is important to study because it has many practical applications, such as in nuclear power generation and medical imaging. It also helps us understand the fundamental workings of atoms and the universe.

What are the different types of radioactive decay?

The three main types of radioactive decay are alpha decay, beta decay, and gamma decay. In alpha decay, an alpha particle (two protons and two neutrons) is emitted from the nucleus. In beta decay, a beta particle (an electron or positron) is emitted from the nucleus. In gamma decay, a high-energy photon is emitted from the nucleus.

How is radioactivity measured?

Radioactivity is measured in units called becquerels (Bq) or curies (Ci). One becquerel is equal to one radioactive decay per second, while one curie is equal to 37 billion radioactive decays per second. Another common unit of measurement is the gray (Gy), which measures the amount of energy absorbed by a material from radiation.

What factors affect the rate of radioactive decay?

The rate of radioactive decay is affected by the type of radioactive isotope, the size of the nucleus, and the surrounding environment. It is also affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure. Additionally, the half-life of a radioactive isotope is a constant factor that determines the rate of decay.

How can we protect ourselves from the harmful effects of radiation?

To protect ourselves from the harmful effects of radiation, we can limit our exposure by using protective equipment, maintaining a safe distance from radioactive sources, and limiting the time spent near radiation. We can also monitor radiation levels and follow strict safety protocols when working with radioactive materials. In addition, proper disposal and containment of radioactive waste is crucial in preventing harm to ourselves and the environment.