Understanding Solar Sensor Resolution: Explained and Compared | dacruick

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of sensor resolution and how it works. The speaker is seeking clarification on the smallest change a sensor can detect and how it compares to its theoretical resolution. They also inquire about the governing factors and limitations of sensor resolution, specifically regarding references to exponents of 2. The conversation concludes with the understanding that the electronics may not always limit resolution and it should be adjusted to match the accuracy of the sensor's output.
dacruick
Hi there,

I am doing some research online trying to find a good site that explains to me how sensor resolution works. I have a very vague understanding right now and I was hoping someone could go through it with me. I'll give a bit of background as to the task I have.
I have a 4 quadrant sun sensor, and there is just a pinhole on top of it as to allow a collimated beam of light to enter. I want to tilt this sensor slightly in all directions, and find the smallest angle that the sun sensor can register.

What I want to know:

The resolution is simply the smallest change the sensor is able to detect.
I would like to compare it to the theoretical resolution of the sensor, but I don't know how to figure that out. I also would like to know what governs the resolution of a sensor, and what is the limiting factor in resolution. (is it the sensor itself, or is it the electronics)

There have been references to resolution as exponents of 2. why is that the case?

I'm sorry if this post isn't very well organized, any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks,

dacruick

Physics news on Phys.org
dacruick said:
There have been references to resolution as exponents of 2. why is that the case?

That's generally just a limitation of the electronics. Anything with a digital output will have a given number of bits (binary digits) of output. Say for example that a sensor has a 6 bit digital output then it's maximum resolution would typically be 1 part in 64 (64=2^6), as 2^6 is the number of binary codes you can make with 6 bits.

Last edited:
So it should never really be the electronics that limit the resolution. You should just make your electronic resolution so that it just covers the sensor output's accuracy.

1. What is solar sensor resolution?

Solar sensor resolution refers to the ability of a solar sensor or instrument to accurately measure and record the intensity of light or radiation from the sun. It is typically measured in units of watts per square meter (W/m²) or watts per square centimeter (W/cm²).

2. Why is solar sensor resolution important?

Solar sensor resolution is important because it determines the accuracy and precision of the data collected by the sensor. A higher resolution means that the sensor can detect smaller changes in light intensity, providing more precise measurements.

3. How is solar sensor resolution measured?

Solar sensor resolution is measured by comparing the output of the sensor to a known reference value. The difference between the two values is then divided by the reference value and multiplied by 100 to get a percentage. This percentage represents the sensor's resolution.

4. What factors can affect solar sensor resolution?

Several factors can affect solar sensor resolution, including the quality and calibration of the sensor, the quality of the optics used, and environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity. Sensor degradation over time can also impact resolution.

5. Can solar sensor resolution be improved?

Yes, solar sensor resolution can be improved through regular calibration, using high-quality optics, and controlling environmental conditions. Upgrading to a sensor with higher resolution can also improve the accuracy and precision of solar measurements.