What is the Correct Order of Weights on a Balanced Scale?

• Thread starter chawki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scale
In summary, the arms of a scale are of equal length and when weighing objects, one side will hang lower if the load is heavier on that side. In order to find the correct order of weights, it is important to use the given equations and inequalities from the diagrams. By adding or subtracting equations, it can be determined that the correct order of weights is P1, P4, P2, P3, where P1 is the heaviest and P3 is the lightest weight.
chawki

Homework Statement

The arms of a scale are of equal length so that when weighing objects, one side will
hang lower if the load is heavier on that side.

Homework Equations

List the weights P1 through P4 in order starting from the heaviest and ending in the lightest based upon the following figure

The Attempt at a Solution

P1+P2=P3+P4
P1+P3>P2+P4
P4>P3
and then ? i have tried by substituting but nothing came out

Attachments

• Arms of scale.JPEG
    Arms of scale.JPEG
    15.3 KB · Views: 481
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a hint that may help: if you have four different weights, where placing two on either side of the scale balances it, then the lightest and heaviest weights must be paired together, and the two middle weights must be paired together. Take it from there.

eumyang said:
Here's a hint that may help: if you have four different weights, where placing two on either side of the scale balances it, then the lightest and heaviest weights must be paired together, and the two middle weights must be paired together. Take it from there.

you mean added together?
P1+P3+P4=P2+P4+P3 ?

No, that's not what I meant. Think of it this way. Suppose there were four weights, 10 kg, 20 kg, 30 kg, and 40 kg. In order to balance, the 10 kg and 40 kg must be placed together on one side, while the other 2 must be placed together on the other side. So I'm suggesting that you start with the idea that the heaviest and lightest weights are put together on one side, with the other two on the other side. So if P1 is the heaviest, for example, then P2 must be the lightest, and P3 & P4 are the two middle weights. You'll have a number of possible ordering of weights based on the first diagram alone. You'll need the other two diagrams to narrow it down.

To add to what eumyang said, write an equation or inequality, as appropriate, for each of the three illustrations. When the arms of the scale are horizontal, write an equation that represents what the quantities are that are equal. When the scale is unbalanced, write an equation that represents that situation.

Mark44 said:
To add to what eumyang said, write an equation or inequality, as appropriate, for each of the three illustrations. When the arms of the scale are horizontal, write an equation that represents what the quantities are that are equal. When the scale is unbalanced, write an equation that represents that situation.

yes i already wrote but nothing

You wrote these:
P1+P2=P3+P4
P1+P3>P2+P4
P4>P3

Look at the last two.
If P4 > P3 and P1+P3>P2+P4, what can you say about P1 and P2?
Is
P1 > P2
or
P1 = P2
or
P1 < P2?

eumyang said:
You wrote these:
P1+P2=P3+P4
P1+P3>P2+P4
P4>P3

Look at the last two.
If P4 > P3 and P1+P3>P2+P4, what can you say about P1 and P2?
Is
P1 > P2
or
P1 = P2
or
P1 < P2?

I think P1>P2
then:
P3+P4-P2+P3>P2+P4
2P3>2P2
P3>P2

the order would be: P4,P3,P1,P2

Last edited:
chawki said:
yes i already wrote but nothing

You can add or subtract the equations from each other.
If you add for instance the first 2 equations, you get:

P1+P2=P3+P4
P1+P3>P2+P4
---------------- +
2xP1 + P2 + P3 > P2 + P3 + 2xP4
or
P1 > P4

Can you take it from there?

chawki said:
I think P1>P2
then:
P3+P4-P2+P3>P2+P4
2P3>2P2
P3>P2

the order would be: P4,P3,P1,P2
Is this the order from heaviest to lightest? If so, I'm afraid this is incorrect. Let
P4 = 40, P3 = 30, P1 = 20, and P2 = 10,
and you can see that not all of the the equation and inequalities hold.

I like Serena said:
You can add or subtract the equations from each other.
If you add for instance the first 2 equations, you get:

P1+P2=P3+P4
P1+P3>P2+P4
---------------- +
2xP1 + P2 + P3 > P2 + P3 + 2xP4
or
P1 > P4

Can you take it from there?

wow that didnt come to my mind..we can add = with > :redface:

we get the order like this:
P1, P4, P2, P3

1. How do I know if the weights on a scale are balanced?

To determine if the weights on a scale are balanced, you need to check if the center of mass for both sides of the scale is in the same position. This means that the weight on each side should be equal, and the distance from the center of the scale to the weight should also be equal.

2. Can different weights be balanced on a scale?

Yes, different weights can be balanced on a scale as long as the center of mass for both sides is in the same position. This means that the weight and distance from the center of the scale for each side should be equal.

3. What happens if one side of the scale is heavier than the other?

If one side of the scale is heavier than the other, the scale will tilt towards the heavier side. This is because the center of mass for the heavier side is further away from the center of the scale, causing an imbalance.

4. How can I balance weights on a scale without using equal weights?

To balance weights on a scale without using equal weights, you can adjust the distance of the weights from the center of the scale. This means that a heavier weight can be placed closer to the center, while a lighter weight can be placed further away to achieve balance.

5. Is it possible to balance an infinite number of weights on a scale?

No, it is not possible to balance an infinite number of weights on a scale. This is because the scale has a limited capacity and can only hold a certain amount of weight before becoming imbalanced.