Replacing cathodoluminesc. by gates

• Thread starter physengineer
  • Start date
In summary, there are several methods you can use to study defects in insulators, including using cathodoluminescence, STM, capacitance-voltage measurements, Raman spectroscopy, and utilizing gates to control the charge state of the defect.
physengineer
Hi,
I appreciate any help in this regard:

People have used cathodoluminescence to study defects in insulators by having energetic electron beam on the defect and observing the luminescence.

I want to see if I can do the same thing instead by putting gates around that defect. I can also dope my insulator to make it into semiconductor if it helps.

I have no idea where to begin or how to model it. If you are aware of any similar situations in any system or even a simple clue I would appreciate it if you could share it with me.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are several approaches you can take depending on what you are trying to achieve. If you are looking to study the defect in more detail, you could use Scanning Tunneling Microscopy (STM). This allows you to study the electronic structure of the system at a very small scale. You can also use capacitance-voltage measurements or conductance-voltage measurements to study the properties of the defect. You can also use optical techniques such as Raman spectroscopy or photoluminescence to study the electronic structure. Finally, you can also use the electric field from the gates to control the charge state of the defect, allowing you to study its behavior.

1. What is cathodoluminescence and why is it being replaced by gates?

Cathodoluminescence is a phenomenon in which a material emits light when it is bombarded by high-energy electrons. It is being replaced by gates because gates offer more precise control over the emission of light and can produce brighter and more efficient displays.

2. How do gates work in the place of cathodoluminescence?

Gates use a different mechanism to produce light compared to cathodoluminescence. Instead of bombarding a material with electrons, gates use electrical signals to control the flow of electrons through a material, resulting in the emission of light.

3. What are the advantages of replacing cathodoluminescence with gates?

Replacing cathodoluminescence with gates has several advantages. Gates offer better control over the emission of light, resulting in brighter and more efficient displays. They also have a longer lifespan, consume less energy, and can be made smaller and thinner.

4. Are there any limitations to using gates instead of cathodoluminescence?

While gates offer many advantages, there are also some limitations to consider. Gates can be more expensive to produce and require more complex manufacturing processes. Additionally, they may not be suitable for all applications, such as in high-voltage or high-temperature environments.

5. Is the replacement of cathodoluminescence by gates a recent development?

The use of gates in place of cathodoluminescence has been an ongoing development for several decades. However, with advancements in technology and manufacturing processes, gates have become more widely used and are expected to continue to replace cathodoluminescence in various applications.