Counter Intuitive result for Surface area of Helical Ribbon

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the surface area of a helical ribbon represented as a ruled surface, using the First Fundamental Form terms E, F, and G. The surface area is calculated using an integral and is found to be equal to the product of the total angular rotation, radius, and width of the ribbon. However, the speaker is perplexed by the fact that the surface is isometric to a projected circle rather than an arc-length of the helix.
jonthebaptist
I am solving for the surface area of a helical ribbon that I represent as a ruled surface, the curve being the helix and the rulings being in the vertical [tex]\sigma\left(t,\varphi\right)=\left(\begin{array}{ccc}
r\cos t, & r\sin t, & \omega t+\varphi\end{array}\right)[/tex]
I solve for the terms in First Fundamental Form, [tex]E=r^{2}+\omega^{2}[/tex]
[tex]F=\omega[/tex]
[tex]G=1[/tex]
Solving the surface area integral [tex]A=\iint\sqrt{EG-F^{2}}dtd\varphi[\tex]

I get an area equal to the product of the total angular rotation times the radius times the width of the ribbon. This is the area of a rectangle with a length equal to the circumference of the circle that is projected by the helix onto the x-y plane. What perplexes me is that I would think that if this ribbon was isometric to a rectangle it would be one with a length equal to the arc-length of the helix, not the projected circle.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi jonthebaptist! welcome to pf! :smile:
jonthebaptist said:
… What perplexes me is that I would think that if this ribbon was isometric to a rectangle it would be one with a length equal to the arc-length of the helix, not the projected circle.

slice the ribbon finely vertically, and let all the bits drop to the same level :wink:

1. What is a helical ribbon?

A helical ribbon is a three-dimensional structure that is formed by a flat material (such as paper or plastic) being twisted along its length.

2. What is the counterintuitive result for the surface area of a helical ribbon?

The counterintuitive result for the surface area of a helical ribbon is that it is greater than the surface area of a flat ribbon with the same length and width.

3. Why is this result counterintuitive?

This result is counterintuitive because it goes against our intuition that a three-dimensional object would have a larger surface area than a two-dimensional object with the same dimensions.

4. What factors contribute to the increased surface area of a helical ribbon?

The increased surface area of a helical ribbon is due to the twisting of the ribbon, which causes the edges to spread out and create a larger surface area. Additionally, the inner layers of the ribbon are compressed, leading to a decrease in thickness and an increase in surface area.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding the surface area of a helical ribbon?

Understanding the surface area of a helical ribbon can be useful in various fields, such as architecture, engineering, and material science. It can help in the design of structures, such as helical staircases, and in the development of new materials with increased surface area for applications such as surface coatings or filtration systems.