Single supply op-amp configuration

In summary: I thought he was talking about car audio amps that are designed to run off of the car's battery, which is nominally 12V. I didn't realize that there were special car audio amps that used a boost converter to get a higher supply voltage to get more power out of the amp.In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker project the person worked on in school and their plans to use it for a home theater or computer setup. They are looking for advice on designing a single supply amp and the best configuration and ICs to use for this purpose. The conversation also touches on the use of dual supply for car audio amps and the power limitations of a 12V supply.
Mcfloyd
I'll try to make my description quick so you don't tldr me.
So I worked on this project in school on a 6.5inch woofer.
I took it from an old computer set (creative) and the amp was dead.
I designed and built a new dual supply class ab stage amplifier with a low pass filter.

So now I don't have a supply, but want to use it for a home theater or computer set up, but passive sucks so I want to design a new single supply amp.

What's the best configuration, and the best IC's to use for this, and can I implement single-supply with a class ab output stage?

All I can ever find on the web is dual supply for gainclones in car audio, but I'm not using it for my car.
Thanks for the help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mcfloyd said:
I'll try to make my description quick so you don't tldr me.
So I worked on this project in school on a 6.5inch woofer.
I took it from an old computer set (creative) and the amp was dead.
I designed and built a new dual supply class ab stage amplifier with a low pass filter.

So now I don't have a supply, but want to use it for a home theater or computer set up, but passive sucks so I want to design a new single supply amp.

What's the best configuration, and the best IC's to use for this, and can I implement single-supply with a class ab output stage?

All I can ever find on the web is dual supply for gainclones in car audio, but I'm not using it for my car.
Thanks for the help!

Welcome to the PF.

What's a "tldr"?

How would an audio power amp for a car be dual supply? Car power supplies are 12V and GND, I would think?

National Semiconductor has a series of audio amplifier ICs, but I haven't used them for several years.

I think I figured it all out, I'm going to buy a kit from parts express.

Mcfloyd said:
I think I figured it all out, I'm going to buy a kit from parts express.

Great, sounds good.

And to tie off the thread with the help of www.acronymfinder.com

TLDR -- Too Long; Don't Read (aka Too Long; Didn't Read)

Berkeman, car audio amps have switchers that generate + and - supplies. How else would you get several hundred watts out of a 12 volt source with a 4 ohm speaker?

This site has a good run down of modern alternator supply capacity.

http://www.k0bg.com/alternator.html

A rule of thumb for linear power amps is

[tex]Power = \frac{{{V^2}}}{{8R}}[/tex]

Where the 'power' describes the max available RMS power, V is the voltage between the rails and R is the nominal speaker impedance.

For a 12 volt supply this works out at 4.5 watts RMS. Actually slightly less as you can never get it all.

With what is these days called an H bridge configuration that effectively switches the rails polarity every half cycle you can multiply this figure by 4 ie 18 watts.

To go beyond that, yes some form of rail converter must be employed.

Averagesupernova said:
Berkeman, car audio amps have switchers that generate + and - supplies. How else would you get several hundred watts out of a 12 volt source with a 4 ohm speaker?

Ah, thanks ASN. I was confused by his response.

What is a single supply op-amp configuration?

A single supply op-amp configuration is a type of operational amplifier (op-amp) circuit that operates using a single voltage supply instead of the traditional dual voltage supplies. This makes it more convenient and cost-effective for many applications.

What are the advantages of using a single supply op-amp configuration?

The main advantage of using a single supply op-amp configuration is that it only requires one voltage supply, which simplifies the circuit design and reduces cost. It also allows for a wider input and output voltage range, making it more versatile for different applications.

How does a single supply op-amp configuration differ from a dual supply configuration?

In a dual supply configuration, the op-amp has two voltage supplies - a positive and a negative supply. The output voltage can swing between these two supplies. In a single supply configuration, the op-amp only has one voltage supply, and the output voltage can only swing between this supply and ground.

What are some common applications of single supply op-amp configurations?

Single supply op-amp configurations are commonly used in battery-powered devices and low voltage applications. They are also used in audio amplifiers, sensor circuits, and signal conditioning circuits.

What are some tips for designing a single supply op-amp circuit?

When designing a single supply op-amp circuit, it is important to choose an op-amp with a rail-to-rail output, which means it can swing all the way to the positive and negative supply voltages. It is also important to consider the input and output voltage range and choose appropriate resistors and capacitors to ensure stable operation.