Finding Bestfit Distribution [image]

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the best fit distribution using Excel and CurveExpert, a program that helps find the best fit models. The person suggests using a cumulative histogram of the data to plot the errors and frequency. However, the other person is having trouble getting results and their best fit models all have a score of 0.0. They speculate that the issue may be due to only having X values and no Y values.
hoodrych
I need to find the bestfit distribution for this. I'm using excel, so I need to be able to use xcel to graph it.

[PLAIN]http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/8770/unledcwx.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I use CurveExpert to find best fit models; give that a try. Then simply evaluate a few points from the model and plot them as separate data.

adoado said:
I use CurveExpert to find best fit models; give that a try. Then simply evaluate a few points from the model and plot them as separate data.

Maybe I'm using the program wrong (I don't think I am), but it's not coming up with any results.

I have no Y values, only X's, so that may be the problem? There are lots of errors for almost every test. And when I click the "scan for bestfit" button, the 20 or so different best fit models it tests all come up with a Score of 0.0.

As I said in the other thread, you should use a cumulative histogram of the data. The x-axis should be the errors and the y-axis should be the frequency.

I would recommend using statistical software or programming languages such as R or Python to find the bestfit distribution for your data. These tools have built-in functions and packages specifically designed for statistical analysis and determining the bestfit distribution for a given dataset. Excel may not have the necessary tools and capabilities to accurately determine the bestfit distribution. Additionally, using a language like R or Python allows for more flexibility and control in the analysis process. Once you have determined the bestfit distribution, you can then use Excel to graph the results.

1. What is the purpose of finding the best fit distribution?

Finding the best fit distribution is important because it allows us to accurately model and understand real-world data. This can help us make predictions and draw meaningful conclusions from our data.

2. What factors should be considered when selecting the best fit distribution?

When selecting the best fit distribution, factors such as the type of data, sample size, and the shape of the data distribution should be taken into account. It is also important to consider the assumptions and limitations of each distribution.

3. How do you determine the best fit distribution?

The best fit distribution can be determined by using statistical tests such as the Kolmogorov-Smirnov test or the Chi-Square test. These tests compare the data to the theoretical distribution and determine the level of agreement between them.

4. What are some common types of distributions used in data analysis?

Some common types of distributions used in data analysis include the normal distribution, the binomial distribution, the Poisson distribution, and the exponential distribution. Each distribution has its own characteristics and is suitable for different types of data.

5. What are the potential challenges in finding the best fit distribution?

One potential challenge in finding the best fit distribution is that data may not always follow a specific distribution, making it difficult to choose the most appropriate one. Additionally, some distributions may have similar characteristics, making it challenging to determine the best fit. It is important to carefully evaluate the data and consider multiple distributions before making a decision.