Stability of the gaussian under addition and scalar multiplication

In summary, if we have the mgf of X and Y, where X~N(mx,vx) and Y~N(my,vy) and X and Y are independent, we can show that aX + bY ~ N(amx+bmy, a^2vx+b^2vy) using the convolution method or the mgf method. However, finding the mgf of aX is not straightforward and requires general knowledge of the mgf of a normal distribution.
stukbv
If i have the mgf of X and the mgf of Y where X~N(mx,vx) and Y~N(my,vy) and X and Y are independent ,
then if i want to show that aX +bY ~ N(amx+bmy , a^2vx+b^2vy) how would i do this - need to be able to do the convolutions way and the mgf's way,
for the mgfs way is it just, mgf(ax+by) = mgf(ax) . mgf(bx) if so how do you find mgf(ax) ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi stukbv! :smile:

Sadly, there is no way to easily calculate the mgf of aX when just knowing X (or at least, I don't know such a way). The easiest is by showing in general that the mgf of [itex]X\sim N(\mu,\sigma^2)[/itex] is

[tex]M(t)=e^{t\mu+\frac{1}{2}\sigma^2t^2}[/tex]

Then the distribution of aX is

[tex]M(at)=e^{at\mu+\frac{1}{2}\sigma^2a^2t^2}[/tex]

And what kind of distribution is this?

What is the concept of "Stability of the gaussian under addition and scalar multiplication"?

The stability of the gaussian under addition and scalar multiplication refers to the property of gaussian distributions to remain unchanged when adding or multiplying by a scalar. This means that the mean, variance, and shape of the distribution will remain the same after these operations.

Why is it important to understand the stability of the gaussian under addition and scalar multiplication?

Understanding the stability of the gaussian under addition and scalar multiplication is important in many fields, including statistics, physics, and engineering. It allows for easier calculations and predictions in systems where gaussian distributions are present, and can also help in identifying and analyzing patterns in data.

What is the relationship between the stability of the gaussian under addition and scalar multiplication and the central limit theorem?

The central limit theorem states that the sum of a large number of independent random variables will tend towards a gaussian distribution. The stability of the gaussian under addition and scalar multiplication is a key factor in this theorem, as it ensures that the resulting distribution will remain gaussian even after multiple additions and scalar multiplications.

Can the stability of the gaussian under addition and scalar multiplication be applied to non-gaussian distributions?

No, the stability property only applies to gaussian distributions. Other distributions may behave differently under addition and scalar multiplication, and their stability cannot be guaranteed.

How is the stability of the gaussian under addition and scalar multiplication used in real-world applications?

The stability of the gaussian under addition and scalar multiplication is used in a wide range of real-world applications, such as in finance, signal processing, and machine learning. It allows for accurate modeling and prediction of data, and is essential in understanding and analyzing complex systems.