Finding Velocity of Photo-electron from H-Atom & Li2+ Ion

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the energy of the photon is -EP, and the energy of the Li+ ion is -2.18*10^{-18}J*3^2=-9E. v=\sqrt{\frac{2(E_P-E)}{m}}.
Saitama

Homework Statement

If the energy of H-atom in the ground state is -E, the velocity of the photo-electron emitted when a photon having energy EP strikes a stationary Li2+ ion in the ground state is given by:
(a)[itex]v=\sqrt{\frac{2(E_P-E)}{m}}[/itex]
(b)[itex]v=\sqrt{\frac{2(E_P+9E)}{m}}[/itex]
(c)[itex]v=\sqrt{\frac{2(E_P-9E)}{m}}[/itex]
(d)[itex]v=\sqrt{\frac{2(E_P-3E)}{m}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

E=W+K.E.
(W represents work function)

The Attempt at a Solution

Energy of H-atom in ground state, [itex]E_H=-E[/itex]
Energy of Li+2 ion in ground state, [itex]E_Li=-2.18*10^{-18}J*3^2=-9E[/itex]

[tex]K.E.=E-W[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2=E_P-(-9E)[/tex]
[tex]v=\sqrt{\frac{2(E_P+9E)}{m}}[/tex]

But the answer in the answer key is option (c). :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
The sign of the energy is a little confusing in this problem. Remember, energy is conserved, so the total energy before the photon is absorbed is that same as the total energy after. "Total" means you add all the relevant energies. But remember also that the energy of the atom before absorption of the photon is negative.

I would recommend that, instead of the photoelectric equation, you use the conservation of energy equation.

pmsrw3 said:
The sign of the energy is a little confusing in this problem. Remember, energy is conserved, so the total energy before the photon is absorbed is that same as the total energy after. "Total" means you add all the relevant energies. But remember also that the energy of the atom before absorption of the photon is negative.

I would recommend that, instead of the photoelectric equation, you use the conservation of energy equation.

Sorry, i didn't get you.
Which is the conservation of energy equation?

Pranav-Arora said:
Which is the conservation of energy equation?
Total energy before = total energy after

pmsrw3 said:
Total energy before = total energy after

I know this but what formulae should i use here?

I have found the mistake in my solution. :smile:
-9E is the energy of Li2+ ion.
Therefore i need +9E energy to remove an electron.
So the work function becomes +9E rather than -9E and i get the answer as (c) option.

But would you please tell me your way to solve it? :smile:

Hi Pranav-Arora! :smile:

The energy before (initial energy Ei) is the energy of the photon plus the energy of the Lithium ion, which is Ei = Ep + (-9E).

The energy after (final energy Ef) is the kinetic energy of the electron plus the new energy of the Lithium ion, which is Ef = (1/2)mv2 + 0.

Energy conservation says Ei = Ef.
So Ep + (-9E) = (1/2)mv2 + 0.

From this you can deduce v.

I like Serena said:
Hi Pranav-Arora! :smile:

The energy before (initial energy Ei) is the energy of the photon plus the energy of the Lithium ion, which is Ei = Ep + (-9E).

The energy after (final energy Ef) is the kinetic energy of the electron plus the new energy of the Lithium ion, which is Ef = (1/2)mv2 + 0.

Energy conservation says Ei = Ef.
So Ep + (-9E) = (1/2)mv2 + 0.

From this you can deduce v.

Got it. Thanks for the explanation. :smile:

1. How do you find the velocity of a photo-electron from a hydrogen atom?

In order to find the velocity of a photo-electron from a hydrogen atom, you can use the equation v = √((2KE)/m), where v is the velocity, KE is the kinetic energy, and m is the mass of the electron. The kinetic energy can be found using the equation KE = hf - BE, where h is Planck's constant, f is the frequency of the incident photon, and BE is the binding energy of the electron to the atom.

2. Can the velocity of a photo-electron be negative?

No, the velocity of a photo-electron cannot be negative. This is because it is a measure of the speed and direction of the electron, and velocity is always a positive quantity. A negative velocity would indicate that the electron is moving in the opposite direction, which is not possible.

3. How does the charge of the ion affect the velocity of the photo-electron?

The charge of the ion does not directly affect the velocity of the photo-electron. However, it does affect the binding energy of the electron, which in turn affects the kinetic energy and therefore the velocity. A higher charge on the ion will result in a higher binding energy, and thus a higher velocity for the photo-electron.

4. Is there a difference in the velocity of a photo-electron from a hydrogen atom and a lithium ion?

Yes, there can be a difference in the velocity of a photo-electron from a hydrogen atom and a lithium ion. This is because the binding energy of the electron to the atom is different for each element, and therefore the kinetic energy and velocity of the photo-electron will also be different.

5. Can the velocity of a photo-electron be measured experimentally?

Yes, the velocity of a photo-electron can be measured experimentally using a technique called photoelectron spectroscopy. This involves shining a beam of photons onto a sample and measuring the kinetic energy and direction of the emitted photo-electrons. From this data, the velocity can be calculated using the equations mentioned in the answer to the first question.