Check my homework, acids/bases balancing equations

In summary, the conversation was about writing and balancing chemical equations for the burning of carbon and sulfur. The equations provided were balanced and the question was raised about the possibility of other products being present due to burning conditions.
supernova1203
So i just finished my homework, if someone can check it for me, would be appreciated thanks

:)

I have the questions in the attachment

22a) asks to write and balance word and chemical equation of the burning of carbon and burning of sulfur

for carbon

C+O2---> C02

for sulfur

S+O2--->SO3

S+1.502--->S03

2S+302---->2SO3

do these equations make sense?

Attachments

• Lesson 7 a.jpg
    Lesson 7 a.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 518
Physics news on Phys.org
supernova1203 said:
So i just finished my homework, if someone can check it for me, would be appreciated thanks

:)

I have the questions in the attachment

22a) asks to write and balance word and chemical equation of the burning of carbon and burning of sulfur

for carbon

C+O2---> C02

for sulfur

S+O2--->SO3

S+1.502--->S03

2S+302---->2SO3

do these equations make sense?

Each of the ones you have mentioned is balanced.
Why did you pick SO3 as the end product for burning Sulphur, might not there be SO2 present?
Similarly, will there be any Carbon monoxide , CO, produced?
Burning conditions may prevent/minimise both of those.

1. What are acids and bases?

Acids are substances that release hydrogen ions (H+) in aqueous solutions, while bases are substances that release hydroxide ions (OH-) in aqueous solutions. Acids have a pH below 7 and taste sour, while bases have a pH above 7 and taste bitter.

2. How do I know if an equation is balanced?

An equation is considered balanced when the number of atoms of each element on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms of the same element on the product side. This can be achieved by adjusting the coefficients (numbers in front of the chemical formulas) of the reactants and products.

3. What is the purpose of balancing equations?

Balancing equations is important because it follows the law of conservation of mass, which states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction. A balanced equation ensures that the same number of atoms of each element are present before and after the reaction.

4. How do I balance equations involving acids and bases?

To balance an equation involving acids and bases, you need to first identify the type of reaction (acid-base or neutralization) and the products formed. Then, balance the elements other than hydrogen and oxygen, followed by the hydrogen atoms, and finally the oxygen atoms. Remember to use coefficients and not change the subscripts.

5. Can I use the same method to balance all acid/base equations?

While the general method for balancing equations involving acids and bases is similar, the specific steps may vary depending on the type of reaction and the products formed. It is important to understand the reaction and products involved in order to accurately balance the equation.