Capacitor to be connected to increase power factor

In summary, Nax13 found that a 28.4uF capacitor should be connected in series with the resistance 80 ohms to improve the power factor to unity.
Nax13
A resistance 'R' ohm and inductance of 'L' henry are connected across 240V, 50Hz supply. Power distributed in the circuit is 300W, and the voltage across R is 100V. In order to improve the power factor to unity, the capacitor to be connected in series should have a value of __.
a) 43.7 uF b) 4.37 uF c) 437 uF d) 0.437 uF

Step 1) Using P=V/I, got I=1.25A
Step 2) Using R=VR/I, got R=80 ohm
Step 3) Now since total voltage is 240V, VL is 240-100=140V
Step 4) Using XL=VL/I, got XL=112 ohm.
Step 5) For power factor to be unity, XL=XC, which means that XC should also be equal to 112 ohm, which leads me to the answer that C is 28.4uF. (since XC=1/2πfC)

Where did I go wrong? Any help would be appreciated. :wink:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where did I go wrong?

First line (ignoring the typo. P=V/I), you used P=VI to find I. This is incorrect, VI is the apparent power if you use the total voltage. If however you just use the voltage across the resistor ...

BTW. It is a poor exercise to refer to this a merely "power factor correction". Series resonating out a reactive element like this does a lot more than merely correcting power factor. In this case for example it increases the total power by a multiple of about 6. If the load was designed to run at 300W then it would likely be destroyed.

This is why PFC is normally done with a parallel capacitor.

Why is it necessary to calculate the impedance?
Btw, are all my other steps right?

Nax13 said:
Why is it necessary to calculate the impedance?

Because you want to find the reactance "X". So find the resistance "R", find the impedance magnitude |Z| and use R^2 + X^2 = |Z|^2 to solve for X.

Thanks for your help, uart and tim! :)

1. What is the purpose of connecting a capacitor to increase power factor?

Connecting a capacitor to increase power factor is done to improve the efficiency of an electrical system. It helps to reduce the reactive power in the system, resulting in a more balanced distribution of real and reactive power, leading to a higher power factor.

2. How does a capacitor increase power factor?

A capacitor works by storing and releasing electrical energy, which helps to offset the reactive power in an electrical system. This results in a reduction of the phase difference between voltage and current, thereby increasing the power factor.

3. Is there a specific type of capacitor that should be used for increasing power factor?

Yes, there are specific types of capacitors designed for power factor correction, such as shunt capacitors, synchronous condensers, and static VAR compensators. The type of capacitor used will depend on the specific requirements of the electrical system.

4. Can connecting too many capacitors to improve power factor be harmful?

Yes, connecting too many capacitors can cause overcorrection, which can lead to overvoltage and potential damage to electrical equipment. It is essential to carefully calculate and monitor the power factor correction to avoid any potential harm.

5. What are the benefits of increasing power factor through capacitor connection?

Some of the benefits of increasing power factor through capacitor connection include improved efficiency and reduced energy costs. It also helps to reduce strain on electrical equipment, leading to longer lifespans and fewer maintenance costs. Additionally, it can improve the stability and reliability of the overall electrical system.