Electrostatic Force between the sodium ion and the chloride ion.

In summary, the conversation discusses the electrostatic force between sodium ions and chloride ions in solid sodium chloride. The force is calculated using the formula F=k|q1*q2|/r^2, resulting in a value of 2.94e-9 N. The direction of the force is not mentioned in the conversation.
Physics Help!
In solid sodium chloride (table salt), chloride ions have one more electron than they have protons, and sodium ions have one more proton than they have electrons. These ions are separated at about 0.28 nm. Calculate the electrostatic force between the sodium ion and the chloride ion.

What I did was the following:
F=k|q1*q2|/r^2

F=8.99e9(1.602e-19*1.602e-19)/(2.8e-10)^2
F= 2.94e-9 N

I try to submit it on Connect but it says is wrong. I tried with 2.94e-9 N and 2.9e-9 N. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the direction of the force?

1. What is the electrostatic force between a sodium ion and a chloride ion?

The electrostatic force between a sodium ion and a chloride ion is the attractive force that exists between the positive charge of the sodium ion and the negative charge of the chloride ion. This force is due to the electrostatic attraction between opposite charges.

2. How is the electrostatic force between a sodium ion and a chloride ion calculated?

The electrostatic force between a sodium ion and a chloride ion can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electrostatic force between a sodium ion and a chloride ion?

The strength of the electrostatic force between a sodium ion and a chloride ion is affected by the magnitude of the charges on the ions, the distance between them, and the dielectric constant of the medium they are in.

4. How does the electrostatic force between a sodium ion and a chloride ion contribute to the formation of ionic compounds?

The electrostatic force between a sodium ion and a chloride ion is what holds them together in an ionic bond. This force causes the ions to attract each other and form a stable compound.

5. Can the electrostatic force between a sodium ion and a chloride ion be broken?

Yes, the electrostatic force between a sodium ion and a chloride ion can be broken, for example, when an ionic compound dissolves in water. The water molecules surround the ions and weaken the force between them, causing the compound to break apart into its individual ions.