Explanation for gravity and mass?

In summary, the speed of light is 300,000 km/sec, the furthest observed galaxy is 13 billion light years away, and the universe has a calculated age of 13.75 ± 0.11 billion years. Some deduced facts include the idea that the furthest observed galaxy may be close to the origin of the big bang and that the majority of objects moving away from us cannot be observed due to their relative speed being greater than the speed of light. The concept of E=mc2 may explain the missing "dark" matter and the hunt for the Higgs particle may be explained by this equation as well. However, it should be noted that all galaxies are not moving away from a central point, but rather
IvorGeorge
Facts
• Speed of light = 300,000 km/sec
o http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light
• Furthest observed galaxy = 13 billion light years away
o http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light
• the Universe has a calculated age of 13.75 ± 0.11 billion years
o http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang

Deduced facts
• Furthest observed galaxy is close to the origin of the big bang, or be at close to right angle to it
o Therefore we on Earth must be traveling through space at a speed relative to the big bang origin at close to speed of light
• Majority of objects moving away from us have relative speed > speed of light – therefore they can not be observed
o Explanation for missing 'dark' matter?
• E=mc2 sees mass approaching infinity as speed approaches light speed
o Explanation for gravity?
• Hunt is on for the Higgs particle that will explain how most of the known elementary particles obtain their masses
o Is it possible that E=mc2 explains this already?

Space news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums IvorGeorge!

You have some interesting ideas, and I can't fully explain/endorse all of them because I don't have a complete knowledge of all of this, but I think I can talk about some of these.

One thing that is apparent in some of your points is the 'origin of the big bang'. Now my guess is that you are aware that all galaxies are moving away from each other, and you logically deduce that they are all moving away from the initial point. However it's a bit more complicated than that, it's not that all objects are moving away from each other, but that space itself is expanding. So they are not moving away from a central point, but rather the big bang happened everywhere at once, but while the universe was a much smaller place. So while everything is moving away from each other, they are not moving away from a central point.

As for the others, I only have 2 minor points. The first is that while it can be assumed that a large percent of the universe is farther away than the observable universe and therefore cannot be observed, the gravitation force is not instant, but rather moves at the speed of light, therefore if we can't see it, we can't feel it. The second is that Mass in the classical sense does not increase as velocity increases. Rather the relativistic mass increases as velocity increases, but Relativistic Mass does not influence gravity, only the rest mass does. I believe the fact that a object gets heavier as it's speed increases is a common misconception that is the root of a lot of misunderstanding.

1. What is the explanation for gravity?

The explanation for gravity is that it is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to be attracted to each other. This force is described by Isaac Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of gravity is directly proportional to the masses of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does mass affect gravity?

The greater the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull will be. This is because mass is one of the factors that determines the strength of the force of gravity between two objects. Objects with larger masses will have a greater gravitational pull on other objects compared to objects with smaller masses.

3. Is gravity a property of mass?

Yes, gravity is a property of mass. This is because mass is one of the two factors that determines the strength of the force of gravity between two objects. Without mass, there would be no gravity.

4. Why do objects with different masses fall at the same rate?

This is due to the effects of the Earth's gravitational acceleration. The force of gravity on an object with a larger mass is greater, but so is its inertia (resistance to change in motion). Therefore, the acceleration due to gravity is the same for all objects, regardless of their mass, resulting in objects falling at the same rate.

5. How does Einstein's theory of general relativity explain gravity?

Einstein's theory of general relativity explains gravity as the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass. The more massive an object is, the more it will curve space-time, causing other objects to be pulled towards it. This theory also explains the effects of gravity on objects in motion, such as the orbit of planets around the sun.