Chemical equations are becoming my greatest nightmare

• Thread starter sankalpmittal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary: People used to say that very good! You got it correct! when I solved equations using logic in class 8th or 7th. However, now that I am in class 10th and encountering equations that can have various reactions, I find it difficult to solve them logically. I have to remember the various possibilities and complete the equation accordingly.
sankalpmittal
When I was in class 8th or 7th , I used to complete and balance equations by logic. For example : 2Na+2H2O ---> 2NaOH+H2
NaNO3+H2SO4 ---------> HNO3 + NaHSO4

But now , presently when I am 14 years , (about to complete 14 though) and in class 10th , I always come across the equations which can have various possible reactions.
For example :
Pb+HNO3 ---> ?
In class 8th , logically I solved it : Pb+2HNO3 ---> Pb(NO3)2 + H2
People used to say : Very good ! You got it correct !

Now that I am in class 10th I came across same equation : Pb+HNO3 ---> ?
I solved it : Pb+2HNO3 ----> Pb(NO3)2 + H2

Now people say : Don't you know such simple reaction ! Products will be :
Pb+6HNO3 ----> Pb(NO3)2 + 3H2O + 3NO2

What is this ! :cry:
:confused: I will have to cram the equations or what ?! :frown:

Other equations :
Me: 2P+6HNO3 ---> 2P(NO3)3 + 3H2
People : You don't know such a simple reaction !
P + 5HNO3 -----> H3PO4 + H2O + 5NO2

Me : NH4NO3 ---> NH3 + HNO3
People : It is wrong ! Are you mad ! If this is correct then why would people prefer Ostwald's process of preparing HNO3 instead of this !

Please help ! :cry:

Please complete this equation also :
K4Fe(CN)6 + H2SO4 + H2O -----> ?

Assistance will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chemistry would be a rather limited science if there were only one possibility for each mixture to react. Mostly there are numerous different possibilities. In the case of the reactions involving HNO3, you have to consider that nitrate is a much more strongly oxidizing agent than are hydronium ions.

DrDu said:
Chemistry would be a rather limited science if there were only one possibility for each mixture to react. Mostly there are numerous different possibilities. In the case of the reactions involving HNO3, you have to consider that nitrate is a much more strongly oxidizing agent than are hydronium ions.

But it is wrong for people to start accusing me , right ? As you can see that my equations above (post #1) are correct.

Can you illustrate any logic behind it or any trick to complete such equations ?

Last edited:

What is a chemical equation?

A chemical equation is a symbolic representation of a chemical reaction. It shows the reactants and products involved in the reaction, as well as their relative proportions.

Why are chemical equations important?

Chemical equations are important because they allow us to understand and predict the outcome of chemical reactions. They also help us to balance reactions and determine the amount of products that will be produced.

Why do chemical equations seem difficult?

Chemical equations can seem difficult because they involve a lot of complex symbols and mathematical relationships. They also require a good understanding of chemical concepts and principles.

How can I improve my understanding of chemical equations?

To improve your understanding of chemical equations, it is important to review and understand the basic principles of chemistry. You can also practice balancing equations and solving problems related to chemical reactions.

What resources are available to help me with chemical equations?

There are many resources available to help with chemical equations, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. It can also be helpful to seek assistance from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling with understanding them.