Calculating Ionization Energy

In summary, ionization energy is the energy required to remove an electron from an atom or molecule, calculated by measuring the energy needed to remove an electron from an atom in its gaseous state. The main factors that affect ionization energy are the atomic radius, nuclear charge, and electron configuration, and it is important in explaining reactivity, chemical bonding, and electronic structure. Ionization energy generally increases across a period on the periodic table, but decreases down a group.
geej77
Hello all-

I am working to calculate the value of I3 for Li. I am working through the formula:

Z2hR/n2

Can anyone tell me what n is equal to? I had originally set n=3 since I am looking for I3, but it was marked incorrect as n should have been set at 1. I'm not sure why in this case

Thanks in advance.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Do you know Rydberg formula?

1. What is ionization energy?

Ionization energy is the amount of energy required to remove an electron from an atom or molecule, resulting in the formation of an ion.

2. How is ionization energy calculated?

Ionization energy is calculated by measuring the energy needed to remove an electron from an atom in its gaseous state. This value is typically expressed in units of kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol) or electron volts (eV).

3. What factors affect ionization energy?

The main factors that affect ionization energy are the atomic radius, nuclear charge, and electron configuration of an atom. As the atomic radius increases, ionization energy decreases. As the nuclear charge increases, ionization energy increases. And as the electron configuration becomes more stable, ionization energy increases.

4. Why is ionization energy important?

Ionization energy is an important concept in chemistry because it helps explain the reactivity of elements and the formation of chemical bonds. It also plays a role in understanding the electronic structure and properties of atoms and molecules.

5. How does ionization energy relate to the periodic table?

Ionization energy generally increases as you move across a period on the periodic table, due to the increasing nuclear charge. However, it decreases as you move down a group, due to the increasing atomic radius. This trend can be observed in the periodic table and helps explain the reactivity and properties of elements.