Why are CFC-Gases Inert Despite Their High Electronegativity?

• Thread starter Chem.Stud.
  • Start date
In summary: This is due to the high electronegativity of fluorine, which pulls the electron density towards itself, resulting in a very polar molecule with strong bonds. This stability is why these gases are used in various applications, such as refrigerants and propellants. The bond enthalpies for a "normal" CFC are relatively high, and for CFC-11 specifically, it is even higher. This means that breaking these bonds requires a lot of energy, making them very stable and unreactive. Overall, the strong bonds between carbon and halogen atoms contribute to the stability of CFCs.
Chem.Stud.
I've been thinking about this for some time now, and I can't find anything specific on it on the interwebs.

Clearly, these gases are very stable, or else they would react. But why stable? Can it really be so beneficial for, let's say, 1,2-dichloro-3,4-difluoromethane to have so kany electronegative atoms bonded to the carbon? The molecule would be very polar with a relatively big plsitive charge on the carbon atom. I would think that one of the halogens would make a good leaving group in substitution...

I'm lost, could someone please help me out? :)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think it has to be with very strong bonds between C and the halogens. The halogens are pulling very much on the electrons, which makes the molecule very polar, and the bonds very strong.

But if someone else could confirm, and go a little more in-depth, you'd probably be better off. What's the bond enthalpies for a "normal" CFC? For CFC-11, for example?

Chem.Stud. said:
I've been thinking about this for some time now, and I can't find anything specific on it on the interwebs.

Clearly, these gases are very stable, or else they would react. But why stable? Can it really be so beneficial for, let's say, 1,2-dichloro-3,4-difluoromethane to have so kany electronegative atoms bonded to the carbon? The molecule would be very polar with a relatively big plsitive charge on the carbon atom. I would think that one of the halogens would make a good leaving group in substitution...

I'm lost, could someone please help me out? :)

They are characterized by strong carbon–fluorine bonds

1. Why are CFC-gases considered inert?

CFC-gases, also known as chlorofluorocarbons, are considered inert because they do not react with other substances under normal conditions. This means that they do not undergo chemical reactions, making them stable and non-reactive.

2. How do CFC-gases contribute to ozone depletion?

CFC-gases contain chlorine atoms, which can break down ozone molecules in the stratosphere. This process releases oxygen, causing a decrease in the ozone layer. The decrease in the ozone layer allows more harmful UV radiation from the sun to reach the Earth's surface.

3. Are CFC-gases harmful to human health?

CFC-gases are not harmful to human health in their gaseous form. However, if they are inhaled in high concentrations, they can cause dizziness, headaches, and irritation to the lungs and throat. When they break down in the stratosphere, they can release chlorine atoms, which can be harmful to the ozone layer and contribute to global warming.

4. How long do CFC-gases stay in the atmosphere?

CFC-gases have a long lifespan in the atmosphere, ranging from 50 to 100 years. This is because they are chemically stable and do not easily break down. This allows them to travel through the atmosphere and reach the stratosphere, where they can cause damage to the ozone layer.

5. What is being done to reduce the use of CFC-gases?

In 1987, the Montreal Protocol was signed, which aimed to phase out the production and consumption of CFC-gases. Many countries have since banned the use of these gases in products such as refrigerants and aerosol sprays. Alternatives to CFC-gases, such as hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), have also been developed and are now widely used.