Rotational dynamics (rolling friction)

In summary: To summarize, the conversation discusses a problem involving a cylinder with a force applied at its center of mass causing it to roll without slipping. The equations for friction and torque are discussed, and the concept of angular and linear accelerations being in opposite directions is explained. The negative sign in the equations is also addressed.
mxbob468
problem 1:

Homework Statement

this isn't quite a problem but a general confusion about how to setup the problem. for example:

a cylinder of radius R with mass M has a force T applied at its center of mass, pointing horizontally to the right. assuming the cylinder only rolls without slipping what happens?

Homework Equations

a=r[itex]\alpha[/itex]
v=r[itex]\omega[/itex]
ƩF=ma
ƩT=I[itex]\alpha[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

one trouble i have is with friction, with what i guess is called "rolling friction". first question: does rolling friction oppose angular acceleration? is that the assumption i need to use when deciding the "direction" of the rolling frictional force?

anyway i setup my equations as such:

because the tension is applied at the COM it causes no torque and therefore we only have sliding friction (taking +x as the positive direction in our inertial reference frame):

T-Ff = Ma

Now friction does apply a torque, a clockwise torque and hence a negative sign needs to be put in by hand:

-Ff*R=I[itex]\alpha[/itex]

rolling without slipping implies a=r[itex]\alpha[/itex] but in my book it says that "linear and angular accelerations are in opposite directions" so in fact it's

a=r[itex](-\alpha)[/itex]

i don't understand what this means? what "linear and angular accelerations are in opposite directions" means. angular acceleration (if we're thinking terms of vectors) points into the page and linear acceleration points in the +x direction. hencen not opposed in anyway i can imagine. does it mean something like linear acceleration in the positive +x direction always induces a clockwise angular acceleration? and then an angular acceleration induced by a counterclockwise torque would be "opposite" to linear acceleration? but that wouldn't make sense considering what my book is saying for this problem (since in this case they'd be point in the same direction)? and though i understand that using this relation (a=r[itex]-\alpha[/itex]) i can solve for T and a, and the Ff needed so that the cylinder rolls without slipping i do not understand the negative sign.

i have more problems but i'll post them later in the thread (or open up a new one?).

Physics news on Phys.org
Since we take the clockwise direction to be negative, and the angular acceleration is clockwise, it is negative. And this happens for a positive (i.e., towards the right) linear acceleration -- so a and α have opposite signs.

i have more problems but i'll post them later in the thread (or open up a new one?).
Please start new threads to post separate problems.

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that are rotating or rolling. It involves concepts such as torque, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

2. What is rolling friction?

Rolling friction is the force that resists the motion of a rolling object, such as a wheel or a ball, on a surface. It is caused by the deformation of the object and the surface it is rolling on.

3. How is rolling friction different from sliding friction?

Rolling friction is different from sliding friction in that it occurs when an object is rolling, while sliding friction occurs when an object is sliding or skidding. Rolling friction is generally lower than sliding friction, making it more efficient for transportation.

4. What factors affect rolling friction?

The factors that affect rolling friction include the mass and shape of the rolling object, the roughness of the surface it is rolling on, and the presence of any lubricants. The speed and direction of the rolling object can also impact rolling friction.

5. How can rolling friction be reduced?

Rolling friction can be reduced by using smoother surfaces, such as polished or lubricated surfaces, and by minimizing the weight of the rolling object. Additionally, using rolling objects with larger radii can also help reduce rolling friction.