Investigating the Effect of the Sun on Tides

In summary, the tidal effect is caused by the difference in the gravitational potential on different sides of the planet. This difference is caused by the diameter of the Earth and the fact that gravity is a r^-2 law ie the side farthest from the sun feels less gravitational pull compared to the side closest to the sun. Now since the diameter of the Earth is negligible when compared to the distance to the sun, i assume the tidal effect is also negligible.
Rocky_Road
Why isn't there a more pronounced effect from the Sun on tides? The distance from the Earth to the Sun seems negligible considering the mass of the Sun.

While typing this out and thinking about it, the most reasonable explanation I can come up with is that the Sun has so much mass that the effects from the gravity are somehow equalized on all parts of the Earth.

Am I close?

RR

Astronomy news on Phys.org
the tidal effect is caused by the difference in the gravitational potential on different sides of the planet. this difference is caused by the diameter of the Earth and the fact that gravity is a r^-2 law ie the side farthest from the sun feels less gravitational pull compared to the side closest to the sun. now since the diameter of the Earth is negligible when compared to the distance to the sun, i assume the tidal effect is also negligible.

Rocky_Road said:
Why isn't there a more pronounced effect from the Sun on tides? The distance from the Earth to the Sun seems negligible considering the mass of the Sun.

While typing this out and thinking about it, the most reasonable explanation I can come up with is that the Sun has so much mass that the effects from the gravity are somehow equalized on all parts of the Earth.

Am I close?

RR

Tidal forces vary directly with the mass and inversely to the cube of the distance. The fact that the Sun is about 27,000,000 times the mass of the moon is counterbalanced by the fact that it is about 400 times as far. 400 cubed is 64,000,000,000, which shows why the Sun's tidal effect is a little less than 1/2 that of the Moon's

F=M/D^3

I guess a course in Physics would have helped. :smile:
Your numbers agree with mine once I had the formula.

Thanks for the reply.

RR

1. What is the relationship between the sun and tides?

The sun plays a significant role in the formation of tides on Earth. The gravitational pull of the sun, along with the moon's, creates the tides we experience on a daily basis.

2. How does the position of the sun affect tides?

The position of the sun in relation to the Earth and moon can impact the intensity of tides. When the sun, moon, and Earth are in alignment, the gravitational pull is at its strongest, resulting in higher high tides and lower low tides, known as spring tides.

3. What is the difference between spring and neap tides?

Spring tides occur when the sun, moon, and Earth are in alignment, while neap tides occur when the moon is at a right angle to the sun and Earth. Neap tides have less extreme differences between high and low tides.

4. Can the sun alone cause tides?

No, the sun alone cannot cause tides on Earth. The moon's gravitational pull is stronger due to its closer proximity to Earth. However, the sun's influence cannot be ignored as it does contribute to the formation of tides.

5. How does the distance between the Earth and sun affect tides?

The distance between the Earth and sun does have an impact on tides, but it is not as significant as the distance between the Earth and moon. As the distance between the Earth and sun changes throughout the year, the intensity of tides may vary slightly.