Question (not homework): Quantum phenomena and the Macroscopic world

In summary, the conversation discusses the de Broglie wavelength of a bullet and its relation to the Planck length. It questions whether there is a de Broglie wavelength at all if it is smaller than the Planck length and if quantum phenomena would cease to exist at this point. The conversation also brings up the usefulness of quantum physics and the difficulty in applying it practically.
FisiksIdiot
I was doing a question while back about finding the de Broglie wavelength of a bullet with a given mass traveling at a given speed- easy stuff. However, when the result was very similar but slightly larger than the Planck length which I'd stumbled across on my few jaunts through Wikipedia, it got me thinking.

If the Planck length is the smallest concievable length (according to Wikipedia, we haven't covered it as such in lectures), and a normal day to day moving object has a de Broglie wavelength smaller than this length, is there actually a de Broglie wavelength at all? Would quantum phenomena cease at this point? I would be intrigued to find out more from someone who knows more than I do about quantum physics.

Thanks and sorry in advance if I've posted this in the wrong place!

Physics news on Phys.org
i do not think this is a useful question.

just know that even if there was a wavelength it is unmeasurable. so it doesn't matter what "actually happens" the fact is that it behaves just like Newton physics.

just think of quantum physics as a useful tool that gives the right answers. if you get really deep into the theory of that stuff it is just too confusing and will rarely, if ever, be used for the design of practical devices. i never regretted this approach.

I thought the whole point of Physics was to find out 'what actually happens'.

I think that even if it is times larger, the wave character is still too minuscule comparing to the value of the measurement. For example, the computed distances between maximums of the double slit of bullet is way way smaller than the radius of the bullet, therefore when can only discern the linear combination of probabilities without the interference term (which brought forth by QM).

1. What is quantum phenomena?

Quantum phenomena refers to the behavior and interactions of particles at the subatomic level, governed by the laws of quantum mechanics. These phenomena include superposition, entanglement, and wave-particle duality.

2. How does quantum mechanics relate to the macroscopic world?

Quantum mechanics is the fundamental theory that describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. While it may not be directly observable in the macroscopic world, it underlies all physical processes and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of matter and energy on a larger scale.

3. Can quantum phenomena be observed in everyday life?

While some quantum phenomena, such as superposition and entanglement, have been observed in controlled laboratory settings, they are not commonly observed in everyday life. However, quantum mechanics does play a role in various technologies such as transistors and lasers that we use in our daily lives.

4. How does the concept of uncertainty in quantum mechanics affect our understanding of the macroscopic world?

The uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. This has implications for our understanding of the macroscopic world, as it means that we cannot predict the exact behavior of macroscopic objects with complete certainty.

5. Are there any practical applications of quantum phenomena?

Quantum phenomena have led to the development of technologies such as quantum computing and cryptography, which have the potential to greatly improve computing power and security. Additionally, understanding and harnessing quantum phenomena can lead to advancements in fields such as medicine, energy, and materials science.