Distances between raw and z-scores

• Thread starter drago
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about expressing the Euclidean distance between two z-normalized vectors using the Pearson correlation coefficient of the raw vectors. The goal is to find a way to express the Euclidean distance between normalized forms as a function of the Euclidean distance of the raw forms. The question is if there is a reference or any information available on this topic.
drago
Hi all,
I know how to express the Euclidean distance between two z-normalized vectors using the Pearson correlation coefficient of the raw vectors:

D^2(x_norm, y_norm)=2n(1-corr(x,y))

where the left term is the euclidean distance between the normalized forms and corr is the Pearson correlation coefficient.
The problem is that I would like to express the Euclidean distance beteen the normalized forms as a function of the Euclidena distance of the raw forms:

D^2(x_norm, y_norm) = f(D^2(x,y))

and so far I cannot achieve this.
So, my question is, could someone point me a reference where eventually I could find anything on the topic?

Thank you,
drago

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Drago,

That is an interesting question. I'm not sure if there is a specific reference for this, but perhaps we can try to figure out something together. What kind of normalization are you using for the vectors? Can you provide any more information about the normalization process or the Pearson correlation coefficient that you are using?

Hi drago,

Thank you for sharing your question with the community. The distance between raw and z-scores can be expressed in terms of the Euclidean distance between the raw vectors and the Pearson correlation coefficient. The formula you have provided is correct, and it is not possible to express the distance between z-scores solely in terms of the Euclidean distance between raw vectors. This is because z-scores are a standardized form of the raw data and do not contain the same information as the raw data. Therefore, the distance between z-scores cannot be solely determined by the Euclidean distance between the raw vectors.

However, there are other ways to measure the distance between z-scores, such as the Mahalanobis distance, which takes into account the covariance between variables. This distance measure can be expressed in terms of the Euclidean distance between the raw vectors and the covariance matrix. You can find more information about this in various statistical textbooks and articles on multivariate analysis.

I hope this helps. Best of luck in your research.

What is the difference between raw scores and z-scores?

The raw score is the original score obtained from a measurement or observation, while the z-score is a standardized score that represents the number of standard deviations a particular score is above or below the mean of the data set. In other words, the z-score indicates how many standard deviations a raw score is from the mean.

How do you calculate the z-score from a raw score?

To calculate the z-score, you need to subtract the mean of the data set from the raw score and then divide the result by the standard deviation of the data set. The formula for calculating the z-score is (raw score - mean) / standard deviation.

What is the significance of z-scores in statistics?

Z-scores are important in statistics because they allow us to compare scores from different data sets that may have different means and standard deviations. They also help us to identify extreme scores or outliers in a data set.

How do you interpret z-scores?

A z-score of 0 indicates that the raw score is equal to the mean of the data set. A positive z-score indicates a score above the mean, while a negative z-score indicates a score below the mean. The further a z-score is from 0, the more extreme the raw score is in relation to the mean.

Can you convert z-scores back to raw scores?

Yes, you can convert z-scores back to raw scores by using the formula raw score = (z-score * standard deviation) + mean. This will give you the original raw score before it was standardized into a z-score.