Brake Release Pressure Leak Testing

In summary: If there's a significant difference, then I'll be more interested in understanding why.In summary, it would seem that the design of the system may need to be looked at in order to prevent it from reaching high pressures.
zenovy
Hi there,

I work in heavy machinery rebuilding and we were reviewing a leak test procedure to make it standardized. Essentially, the brake piston squeezes together the clutch plates (stationary) and the friction disks (which move with the shaft). The piston is pushed by compressed springs between the piston and the housing. Brake fluid pushes from the other side in a sealed chamber at about 600 psi to disengage the brakes, and it is depressurized when the brakes need to be used.
The status quo for testing is to fill the brake fluid chamber to the standard operating pressure (about 600 psi) and attach a dial pressure gauge on one end while closing a valve on the other side. The gauge is observed for a minute or two and if there is any drop in pressure larger than about 15 psi it is determined to be a problem. I feel like there needs to be a safety factor in the test, but the technicians think that it will damage the seals. They've observed that after a certain pressure (around 800psi) the seals just blow out of the chamber.
Does anybody have any ideas/insight they could bring? The procedure has been an on-again off-again job among the engineers here for years. Also, if you could bring some solid evidence to the table, that would be preferred to industry anecdotes (although anecdotes are helpful too!)

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just thinking this through:

Presumably the brake system is fairly critical to safe operation of the machinery. If it is meant to operate at 600 psi and it "blows the seals out" at 800 psi, then there should be some design feature that stops it ever reaching 800 psi (e.g. a pressure relief value).

In that case, it seems to me you have two different things to demonstrate.
1. The system will hold pressure at its design condition (600 psi)
2. The system can't fail through overpressure.

IMO your test is about case 1. What you do about case 2 is a separate issue (but just ignoring it probably isn't very sensible!).

AlephZero said:
Just thinking this through:

Presumably the brake system is fairly critical to safe operation of the machinery. If it is meant to operate at 600 psi and it "blows the seals out" at 800 psi, then there should be some design feature that stops it ever reaching 800 psi (e.g. a pressure relief value).

In that case, it seems to me you have two different things to demonstrate.
1. The system will hold pressure at its design condition (600 psi)
2. The system can't fail through overpressure.

IMO your test is about case 1. What you do about case 2 is a separate issue (but just ignoring it probably isn't very sensible!).

Thanks for the reply!

I think worrying about overpressurization is way out of my scope as my company doesn't have access to much of the design data; it's provided on a need-to-know basis. I think I'm going to see if the place it leaks into contains the same fluid. If so, then leaking isn't that big of a deal, since the oil ends up in the same reservoir.

1. What is brake release pressure leak testing?

Brake release pressure leak testing is a method used to check the integrity of a vehicle's brake system by measuring the pressure required to release the brakes. This test is typically performed on commercial vehicles, such as trucks and buses, to ensure they are safe to operate on the road.

2. How is brake release pressure leak testing performed?

The test is performed by applying a specific pressure to the brake system and then measuring the pressure drop over a certain period of time. This is usually done using a specialized tool called a brake release pressure gauge. The results are compared to the manufacturer's specifications to determine if there is a leak in the system.

3. Why is brake release pressure leak testing important?

Brake release pressure leak testing is important because it ensures the safety of the vehicle and its passengers. A leak in the brake system can cause a loss of pressure, resulting in decreased braking ability, which can lead to accidents and injuries. Regular testing helps to identify and fix any issues before they become a safety hazard.

4. When should brake release pressure leak testing be performed?

Brake release pressure leak testing should be performed regularly as part of routine maintenance. It is recommended to test the brake system at least once a year or every 25,000 miles, whichever comes first. However, if you notice any issues with your brakes, such as a spongy pedal or longer stopping distance, it is important to get them tested immediately.

5. Can brake release pressure leak testing be done at home?

No, brake release pressure leak testing should only be performed by trained professionals using specialized equipment. It is not a DIY task and requires knowledge and experience to accurately perform and interpret the results. It is best to take your vehicle to a certified mechanic or a commercial vehicle inspection facility for this type of testing.