For those of you who found a job with just a B.Sc in physics

• Physics
  • Thread starter Ryuk1990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job Physics
In summary: Aren't most civil engineers in the US required to get a PE license eventually? If so, wouldn't that be impossible in your case since you need a Bachelor's for that?
Ryuk1990
I'm just curious, but what exactly are you doing?

Physics news on Phys.org
After getting my BS I worked in a private lab for about 3 years. I would say my job was about 50% lab monkey (clean, organize, etc) and 50% research technician (plan/run experiment, document etc). I found the job networking within the physics dept I got my degree at.

Eventually I left and went back to grad school.

I got a job as a health physicist and am now a radiation safety officer.

An acquaintance of mine completed their B.S. in Physics and then got a Medical Physics "Assistant" position such as this one.

I don't know if this counts, but after a BS in Physics, I got an MSEE and went to work in microelectronics.

I've worked in R&D labs.

First I was in a paper physics lab, doing lab work like setting up and running experiments. Corrugated boxes, milk cartons, that sort of thing.

Then I worked in a resin R&D lab - basically the same kind of work, but with stickier stuff :biggrin:.

That job (and a significant amount of relevant coursework) allowed me to work at my current job as a Chemist.

But I'm transitioning now to Civil Engineering.

lisab said:
But I'm transitioning now to Civil Engineering.

Just curious here: how are you trying to make that transition? Through another job, or are you trying to get an additional degree?

Hobin said:
Just curious here: how are you trying to make that transition? Through another job, or are you trying to get an additional degree?

Kind of both. Where I work, there are a lot of engineers, and I'm hoping that my pestering them with questions will help me move toward that kind of work. But that really depends on market forces (our lab is heavily dependent on US residential building, which is not nearly recovered yet).

Also I'm taking undergrad CE courses, in preparation for entering a CE master's program (haven't really decided on that yet, but I'm enjoying the classes!).

lisab said:
Kind of both. Where I work, there are a lot of engineers, and I'm hoping that my pestering them with questions will help me move toward that kind of work. But that really depends on market forces (our lab is heavily dependent on US residential building, which is not nearly recovered yet).

Also I'm taking undergrad CE courses, in preparation for entering a CE master's program (haven't really decided on that yet, but I'm enjoying the classes!).

Aren't most civil engineers in the US required to get a PE license eventually? If so, wouldn't that be impossible in your case since you need a Bachelor's for that?

1. What types of jobs can I get with a B.Sc in physics?

There are a variety of jobs available to individuals with a B.Sc in physics, including research positions, data analysis roles, and engineering positions. Other common job titles for physics graduates include lab technicians, quality control analysts, and science writers.

2. Can I still find a job with a B.Sc in physics if I don't want to work in a lab?

Yes, there are many jobs available outside of traditional lab settings for individuals with a B.Sc in physics. Some examples include science communication, science policy, and consulting positions.

3. Do I need a higher degree to have a successful career with a B.Sc in physics?

While having a higher degree may open up more opportunities, it is not necessary to have a successful career with a B.Sc in physics. Many individuals with a B.Sc go on to have successful careers in their field of interest.

4. Are there any specific industries that value a B.Sc in physics?

Industries that heavily rely on science and technology, such as aerospace, energy, and telecommunications, often value individuals with a B.Sc in physics. However, there are also job opportunities in other industries such as finance, healthcare, and education.

5. How can I make myself stand out to potential employers with a B.Sc in physics?

Some ways to make yourself stand out include gaining relevant experience through internships or research projects, networking with professionals in your field, and developing strong communication and problem-solving skills. Additionally, highlighting any specific skills or areas of expertise in your job application can also make you stand out to potential employers.