Orthogonally polarized beams do not interfere, do they beat?

• Thread starter reasonableman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beams
In summary, beating light occurs when two waves with the same polarization but slightly different frequencies interfere. Orthogonally polarized waves do not interfere, therefore they cannot produce a beat signal. However, in certain cases, a beating system can be analogous to a single beam with constantly changing polarization. This does not produce intensity modulation, as the orthogonal beams do not interfere.
reasonableman
I'm trying to understand what happens with beating light when the componenets have differing polarisation.

I know that orthogonally polarised beams do not interfere spatially. I looked in Hecht and this arises in the maths due to the 'interference term' in which there is a [itex]E_{1}.E_{2}[/itex] term. Obviously if they are orthogonal the dot product is zero.

However when I look up the treatment for beating (which is before) the electric fields are just treated as scalars, so the polarisation is not considered. As the above, vector treatment, is more 'complete' I'm inclined to believe that one, however I'm not sure it's correct.

The reason I'm not sure is that in previous thinking about this problem I decided that two co-linear beams of slightly different frequency (as in the beating example) is equivalent to a single frequency beam of rotating polarisation, if you consider that then the changing polarisation will still produce intensity modulation. Hence I'm confused!

Any comments?

Science news on Phys.org
A beating signal is just a special case of interference where two waves with the same polarization and close but different frequencies interfere. Orthogonally polarized waves do not interfere, therefore they can not produce a beat signal.

A linearly-polarized beating signal is entirely different from a circularly-polarized wave. The beat signal is just a traveling cosine wave contained in a lower-frequency cosine envelope. This envelope extends spatially along the direction of propagation. The polarization of such a signal (if it is the simplest case of a plane-wave, linear-polarization beat signal) is constant in time and space, whereas the amplitude is what's beating. In a circularly-polarized monochromatic plane wave, the amplitude is constant (no beating), and the polarization vector is rotating in space. The changing polarization of circularly-polarized light does not produce intensity modulation. The electric field vector changes direction only, not length - that is why it sweeps out a circle (a circle is defined as all points the same distance from a central point, but at different angles).

Likes roam
Ok, I agree that orthogonally polarised waves do not interfere. However I believe in a certain case a beating system can be analogous to a single beam that is constantly changing polarisation. Specifically:

If you have two orthogonal linear polarised beams of the same magnitude but slightly different frequency the system - at a specific time - will appear identical to a elliptically polarised beam i.e. two beams of orthogonal polarisation with different phases. The phase difference between the two 'beams' will vary with time going from linearly polarised, to elliptically, to circular and back again.

However this just supports the point that orthogonal beams do not interfere, if the system can be considered as a single beam of varying polarisation it will not produce intensity modulation, it was a mistake on my part to think it would.

1. What does it mean for beams to be orthogonally polarized?

Orthogonally polarized beams refer to two beams of light that have perpendicular electric field orientations. This means that the electric fields of the two beams are oriented in different directions, such as one being horizontal and the other being vertical.

2. Why do orthogonally polarized beams not interfere?

Orthogonally polarized beams do not interfere because their electric fields are perpendicular to each other. When two beams of light with perpendicular electric fields meet, they do not interact or interfere with each other. This is due to the fact that the electric fields cancel each other out, resulting in no net interference.

3. What is the difference between interference and beating?

Interference occurs when two or more waves interact with each other, resulting in a change in the amplitude or phase of the waves. This can result in constructive interference, where waves combine to form a larger amplitude, or destructive interference, where waves cancel each other out. Beating, on the other hand, refers to the fluctuation in amplitude that occurs when two waves with slightly different frequencies interfere with each other. This can result in a periodic increase and decrease in amplitude, similar to the beating of a drum.

4. Do orthogonally polarized beams produce any effects when they overlap?

No, orthogonally polarized beams do not produce any effects when they overlap. This is because the electric fields of the two beams cancel each other out, resulting in no net effect. However, if the beams are not perfectly perpendicular, there may be a small amount of interference or beating, depending on the degree of misalignment.

5. Can orthogonally polarized beams be used for any practical applications?

Yes, orthogonally polarized beams have several practical applications, such as in optical communication systems, where they can be used to carry multiple channels of information simultaneously. They are also used in advanced microscopy techniques, such as polarization-resolved imaging, which can provide valuable information about the structure and properties of materials. Additionally, they are used in interferometry and laser interferometers for precision measurements.