Can the effects of a nuclear bomb be mitigated through energy redirection?

In summary: And one of the characters says that once the bomb is activated, it can't be stopped.In summary, there is currently no known way to mitigate the effects of a nuclear bomb once it has been detonated. The energy released cannot be corralled or dispersed, and any attempt to do so would be self-defeating. While there may have been research on nuclear explosion shielding using electro-dynamic field generators and thermodynamic absorbent materials, it is not possible to contain or stop a nuclear explosion once it has begun.
oldunion said:
Electro Magnetic radiation cause no known side effects, the first link states this. Gamma, Aplpha, X-Ray, is what will cause lethality.

Gamma and X-ray radiation [ which ARE forms of electro-magnetic
radiation] at the intensities in a bomb do kill. Alpha particles are very
short range and can't even penetrate the dead layer of skin surrounding
the body..

As Astronuc points out - alpha particles from without are harmless. The
only way alpha particles are dangerous is if you actually injest the
radioactive material.

Looks like space warfare will require new weapons, whereas a nuke is still destructive but not nearly as much.

I wouldn't say "not nearly so much". The nuke is just as destructive -
it's just that the destructive energy takes a different form - it doesn't
launch a blast wave in air - but that doesn't mean that the energy that
would have gone into the blast wave just goes away. NO - the energy is
still there, and just as destructive.

Which reminds me, they blew up the asteroid in armageddon with a nuke... :rolleyes:

Perfectly plausible. You use the bomb to blow off a good chunk of the
asteroid. The rest of the asteroid recoils and is thus diverted from an
Earth crossing trajectory.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The Armageddon movie asteroid and the nuke that split it

Morbius said:
oldunion said:
they blew up the asteroid in armageddon with a nuke
Perfectly plausible.
It was opined by many experts when the movie came out that trying to nuke an asteroid wouldn't work if it was made up of loose gravel.

You use the bomb to blow off a good chunk of the asteroid. The rest of the asteroid recoils and is thus diverted from an Earth crossing trajectory.
In the movie, they split the asteroid in half so the two halves would pass on either side of the earth. The diameter of the asteroid was ~750 miles ("the size of Texas"; and half the diameter of the planet Pluto), and the nuke was small enough to fit in a shuttle cargo bay along with drilling tools (they had to drill down a long way to properly place the nuke) and a large electric rover vehicle.

The size of the asteroid in the movie was, I think, overkill for a "global killer," and the idea that something that large could be split in half with a nuke small enough to fit in a shuttle cargo bay I do not find realistic.

hitssquad said:
It was opined by many experts when the movie came out that trying to nuke an asteroid wouldn't work if it was made up of loose gravel.
That is still the case. And it could make things worse, e.g. if a small loosely packed comet type dispersed over a wider area on earth, i.e. the difference between a slug and a shot gun blast.

hitssquad said:
In the movie, they split the asteroid in half so the two halves would pass on either side of the earth. The diameter of the asteroid was ~750 miles ("the size of Texas"; and half the diameter of the planet Pluto), and the nuke was small enough to fit in a shuttle cargo bay along with drilling tools (they had to drill down a long way to properly place the nuke) and a large electric rover vehicle.

The size of the asteroid in the movie was, I think, overkill for a "global killer," and the idea that something that large could be split in half with a nuke small enough to fit in a shuttle cargo bay I do not find realistic.
Afterall, it's science fiction.

Ceres, the largest known asteroid has a reported diameter of 930-970 km (584-602 miles).

hitssquad said:

hitssquad,

You don't need to split the asteroid in half. You just have to blow enough
off so that the recoil will send the rest of the asteroid into a trajectory
that misses Earth.

The particulars with how to deal with an Earth-intersecting asteroid was
the topic of a workshop for scientists held about 10 years ago at
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. It was called "The Planetary
Defense Workshop" and the proceedings are posted online at the LLNL

http://www.llnl.gov/planetary/

You can read papers of how to use "kinetic kill" vehicles, lasers, and
other forms of non-nuclear defenses - in addition to the nuclear weapons.

In particular, if you look at the study by Petrov, et. al; "The Effect of
Neutron Radiation from a Nuclear Explosion on an Asteroid", in the
bottom paragraph on page 5; the authors conclude that the fraction
of the bomb's energy that is absorbed doesn't depend on density. Their
assumed asteroid composition is silicon dioxide [ which is what makes
up sand].

A nuke that would fill the shuttle's cargo bay would be HUGE. Remember,
our current strategic warheads are small enough to fit several on a
small missile, two dozen of which fits in a submarine. Each bomber
aircraft can also carry several bombs - and bomb bays are not that big.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

Last edited by a moderator:
For some scale, the Hubble is about the biggest thing you can fit in the Shuttle cargo bay. Its about the size of a schoolbus - 13.3 meters long and 4.3 wide. A tomahawk cruise missile carries a W-80, which is medium sized at 200kt, and is about the size of an old metal trashcan - .5m in diameter and, I'm guessing, about 1.5m long.

russ_watters said:
For some scale, the Hubble is about the biggest thing you can fit in the Shuttle cargo bay. Its about the size of a schoolbus - 13.3 meters long and 4.3 wide. A tomahawk cruise missile carries a W-80, which is medium sized at 200kt, and is about the size of an old metal trashcan - .5m in diameter and, I'm guessing, about 1.5m long.

Russ,

A "picture being worth a thousand words", here's a picture of the W-80 and
and two of its handlers for scale. Courtesy of the Nuclear Weapons Archive:

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Weapons/W80handle.jpg

The LLNL designed W-87 is the warhead of the "Peacekeeper" [ aka MX ]
missile and is a modern "strategic" weapon. Also courtesy of the Nuclear
Weapons archive is a picture of the W-87 Rvs [ reentry vehicles ] being
loaded on the Peacekeeper "bus":

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Weapons/W87clr.jpg

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

i recall the blast looking something like two aposing semi-spheres, with a wave type appearance. If an air pulsed blast wave isn't ripping the steller body to pieces, then what is?