Dipole Antenna - Effective Area

In summary, to determine the effective area of a short dipole with L = λ/60 and the λ/2 dipole, we can use the formula Aeff = G* λ2/4*pi and compare it to the physical area using the formula Aphysical = pi*(a2 + a*L). However, a numerical answer is not possible without the actual value of λ. It is also worth noting that the effective area of the λ/60 dipole is not significantly different from that of the half-wave dipole, despite its lower gain and smaller radiation resistance. The professor may have intended for a different wording or provided a value for λ to obtain a numerical answer.
Axis001

Homework Statement

Determine the effective area (Aeff) for a short dipole with L = λ/60 and λ/2 dipole. If the wires used for dipoles has radii a = 1 cm compare Aeff with the physical area.

G(short dipole) = 1.5
G(half wave dipole) = 1.64

Homework Equations

Aeff = G* λ2/4*pi

The Attempt at a Solution

Aeff = 1.64* λ2/4*pi = L2/pi * 1.64 = 0.052L2

Aphysical = pi*(a2 + a*L) = pi*10-4 + 1*10-2*L

What is confusing me is that I cannot seem to get a numerical answer for this problem even though it is apparently possible. I'm sure I just keep over looking something simple and making this easy problem harder than it has to be.

Physics news on Phys.org
Axis001 said:

Homework Statement

Determine the effective area (Aeff) for a short dipole with L = λ/60 and λ/2 dipole. If the wires used for dipoles has radii a = 1 cm compare Aeff with the physical area.

G(short dipole) = 1.5
G(half wave dipole) = 1.64

Homework Equations

Aeff = G* λ2/4*pi

The Attempt at a Solution

Aeff = 1.64* λ2/4*pi = L2/pi * 1.64 = 0.052L2

Aphysical = pi*(a2 + a*L) = pi*10-4 + 1*10-2*L

What is confusing me is that I cannot seem to get a numerical answer for this problem even though it is apparently possible. I'm sure I just keep over looking something simple and making this easy problem harder than it has to be.

All your formulas are correct. You need the actual value of λ to get a numerical answer for the effective areas for both antennas.

Interestingly, the actual effective area of the λ/60 dipole is practically speaking not a function of L. Since the gain is 1.5, that makes the effective area not much less than that of the half-wave one! (However, the short dipole has a teeny-tiny radiation resistance, going as (L/λ)2., making it more or les useless.)

That is what is baffling me is there is no provided value for wavelength but my professor insists that a numerical value is possible. Since the two areas should be equivalent I set up a polynomial equation with them and got a L of 0.1135 m. But when I solve for the areas I get 4.1077 x 10^-3 m for effective area and 3.9 x 10 -3 m for the physical area. The fact that they are so close makes since but the area values seems far to small.

Is the wording exactly what you posted? The wording is not in good English ...
"Determine the effective area (Aeff) for a short dipole with L = λ/60 and λ/2 dipole".
Other than that I'm baffled too!

The effective area of a dipole antenna is a measure of its ability to capture electromagnetic energy from an incoming wave. It is defined as the ratio of the power received by the antenna to the power density of the incident wave. In this problem, we are given the lengths of two different dipoles, one with a length of λ/60 and the other with a length of λ/2. We are also given the radius of the wires used for these dipoles.

To calculate the effective area, we can use the equation Aeff = G* λ2/4*pi, where G is the antenna gain and λ is the wavelength of the incoming wave. The gain of a short dipole is 1.5, while the gain of a half-wave dipole is 1.64. Using these values, we can calculate the effective area for each dipole:

Aeff(short dipole) = 1.5 * λ2/4*pi = 0.047L2
Aeff(half wave dipole) = 1.64 * λ2/4*pi = 0.052L2

Next, we can calculate the physical area of each dipole using the given radius of 1 cm for the wires:

Aphysical(short dipole) = π*(a2 + a*L) = π*(0.01 m)2 + (0.01 m)*(λ/60) = 0.000314L
Aphysical(half wave dipole) = π*(a2 + a*L) = π*(0.01 m)2 + (0.01 m)*(λ/2) = 0.0157L

Comparing the effective area to the physical area, we can see that the effective area is much smaller than the physical area for both dipoles. This is because the effective area takes into account the directional characteristics of the antenna, while the physical area is simply the geometric area of the wires.

In conclusion, we have calculated the effective area and physical area for a short dipole and a half-wave dipole, and found that the effective area is significantly smaller than the physical area. This highlights the importance of considering the antenna gain when designing and using antennas.

1. What is a dipole antenna?

A dipole antenna is a type of radio antenna that consists of two conductive elements, usually metal rods or wires, that are connected at the center and fed with a radio frequency (RF) current. It is one of the simplest and most widely used types of antennas.

2. What is the effective area of a dipole antenna?

The effective area of a dipole antenna is a measure of its ability to receive or transmit electromagnetic waves. It is the physical area of the antenna that is exposed to the incoming or outgoing electromagnetic field. The effective area is typically represented by the symbol Ae and is measured in square meters (m2).

3. How is the effective area of a dipole antenna calculated?

The effective area of a dipole antenna can be calculated using the formula Ae = λ2/4π, where λ is the wavelength of the electromagnetic wave in meters. This formula assumes that the dipole antenna is an ideal, isotropic radiator, which means that it radiates equally in all directions. In practice, the effective area may be lower due to factors such as antenna inefficiency and directional radiation pattern.

4. Why is the effective area of a dipole antenna important?

The effective area of a dipole antenna is important because it is a key factor in determining the antenna's performance and efficiency. A larger effective area means that the antenna can receive or transmit more electromagnetic energy, resulting in a stronger signal. It is also used in calculating the antenna's gain, which is a measure of its directional efficiency.

5. How does the length of a dipole antenna affect its effective area?

The length of a dipole antenna has a direct impact on its effective area. As the length increases, the effective area also increases, which means the antenna becomes more efficient at receiving or transmitting electromagnetic waves. However, there is an optimal length for a dipole antenna, typically half of the wavelength, at which the effective area reaches its maximum value. Beyond this length, the effective area begins to decrease, resulting in decreased performance and efficiency.