Do Chemical Engineers get to travel the world?

In summary, chemical engineers do have opportunities to travel the world for their job, especially in large multinational corporations. Some may have the chance to work on projects overseas, attend conferences and training programs, or visit other company business units. However, this may vary depending on the size and location of the company.
vstp123
Do Chemical Engineers get to travel the world?

Hi, just wondering if chemical engineers get to travel the world for their job?

Like if you think of civil engineers, their companies will regularly contract them to do projects overseas, similar to mech and elec engineers, but for chemical engineers, all I can imagine is them stuck in one chemical plant in some rural place for years...

I'm asking because I'm not sure if I want to continue studying Chem Eng and I might want to switch to either civil or mech as I really don't want to stay in one isolated chemical plant for my entire life...

Any actual Chemical Engineers out there that could give info/advice/what you do on a daily basis??

Thanks and a lot appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

vstp123 said:
Hi, just wondering if chemical engineers get to travel the world for their job?

Like if you think of civil engineers, their companies will regularly contract them to do projects overseas, similar to mech and elec engineers, but for chemical engineers, all I can imagine is them stuck in one chemical plant in some rural place for years...

I'm asking because I'm not sure if I want to continue studying Chem Eng and I might want to switch to either civil or mech as I really don't want to stay in one isolated chemical plant for my entire life...

Any actual Chemical Engineers out there that could give info/advice/what you do on a daily basis??

Thanks and a lot appreciated!

I am not a seasoned chemical engineer, but I have worked as a student chemical engineer on an internship program and had a bit of exposure to what chemical engineers do. The company I was working for was a very large oil and gas firm, and I can say without any doubt that the chemical engineers had a lot of opportunity to travel. At the location in which I was working, some of the chemical engineers would finish their 3-4 year graduate program and then go to other locations around the world. I know some went to Houston, some went to Alaska and I know of one who went to Finland. I also know that some of the engineers have gone to various locations around the world for conferences and training programs, and even to visit other company business units to learn more about the industry. Like I said, the company I worked for was a very large multinational corporation, so that probably helps. I can't really speak for other smaller firms, hopefully somebody else with more experience can give some insight.

1. Do chemical engineers have opportunities to travel for work?

Yes, chemical engineers often have the opportunity to travel for work. Many companies have global operations and may require engineers to travel to different locations for project work, meetings, or training. Additionally, chemical engineers may also attend conferences, seminars, and workshops in different parts of the world.

2. How often do chemical engineers travel for work?

The frequency of travel for chemical engineers can vary depending on their specific job duties and the company they work for. Some chemical engineers may travel frequently, while others may only travel occasionally. It also depends on the location of the company and the projects they are working on.

3. Do chemical engineers have the opportunity to travel internationally?

Yes, chemical engineers may have the opportunity to travel internationally for work. Many companies have global operations and may require engineers to travel to different countries for project work or meetings. Additionally, chemical engineers may also have the opportunity to attend international conferences and workshops.

4. What types of tasks do chemical engineers typically travel for?

Chemical engineers may travel for a variety of tasks, including project work, client meetings, training, and conferences. They may also travel to conduct research, attend site visits, or collaborate with colleagues in different locations. The specific tasks will depend on the individual's job duties and the needs of their company.

5. Are travel expenses covered for chemical engineers?

Travel expenses for chemical engineers will vary depending on the company they work for and the specific project or task they are traveling for. Some companies may cover all expenses, including flights, accommodation, and meals, while others may only cover certain expenses. It is important for chemical engineers to clarify with their employer what expenses will be covered before traveling.