Practical Electronic & Mechanical Skills for Aspiring Experimentalists

In summary, I feel that undergraduate physics majors should be prepared to do practical work with electronics and instrumentation, and also have a basic understanding of machine tools.
V_Permendur
I just thought Id post some of my thoughts on what I feel is needed for undergrad physics majors who are interested in the more practical side of what we are learning in our highly idealized and theoretical coursework. I also would like to point out what tools I think are necessary for people who like to do research on their own, because they either want to, or can't find any professor who can or has the desire to facilitate their research.

I personally feel that many undergraduate physics departments, unlike engineering departments do very little to actually teach practical skills to their students. I think that it is imperative for anyone interested in experimental physics to have a good understanding of practical electronics and instrumentation, and how using machine tools to build experimental devices.

my university surprisingly does fairly well at preparing us for such - we have two electronics courses we can take from our physics department - both of them have 6 hours of lab included. and for some reason, we are fortunate enough to have a machine shop. anyone who completes the 2 unit intro to machine shop course gets to use the shop anytime they want as long as one of the machinists is present.

Currently, i am interested in high voltage electronics for pulsed power applications. If anyone would like some information on building some regulated or unregulated high voltage power supplies, let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org

"experimental physics" is not equivalent to "modify some mechanical things, which requires any specific knowledge".
Extreme example: Particle physics. You can work as experimental particle physicist for years and never touch any experiment. I know a PhD student who did not even see the experiment he works at.
In other fields, many experiments just use commercial parts and (optionally) arrange them in some specific way (for example on an optical table). Required skills: just dexterity.

Well this is true, however since I am an undergraduate (just a youngin) my post is geared towards curious undergraduates who would want to do more than just bury themselves in the taylor mechanics book or the griffiths E&M text.

and i do know that for particle physics, there is only so much you can do (the only experience I have with P. Physics is from taking a class on particle accelerators) since you can't see or touch the beam, and the whole operation takes a hundreds of people just to make a 200mA something electron or proton beam travel around in a circle. Though if i ever did end up in particle accelerator physics, id either be doing beam diagnostics or magnet design. oh man that stuff is bad ***

1. What is the purpose of learning practical electronic and mechanical skills?

The purpose of learning practical electronic and mechanical skills is to equip oneself with the necessary knowledge and abilities to design, build, and troubleshoot experimental setups or devices. These skills are essential for anyone working in the field of experimental science, as they enable one to bring their ideas to life and conduct experiments effectively.

2. What are some examples of practical electronic and mechanical skills?

Examples of practical electronic and mechanical skills include circuit design and prototyping, soldering, use of power tools, 3D printing, and basic knowledge of mechanical systems and components. These skills can also include knowledge of coding and programming for electronic devices.

3. How can I improve my practical electronic and mechanical skills?

The best way to improve practical electronic and mechanical skills is through hands-on practice and experimentation. This can be done by working on personal projects, collaborating with experienced individuals, and attending workshops or classes specifically focused on these skills. Online tutorials and resources can also be helpful in learning and improving these skills.

4. Are practical electronic and mechanical skills necessary for experimental science?

Yes, practical electronic and mechanical skills are considered essential for experimental science. They allow scientists to design and construct their own experimental setups, troubleshoot any issues that may arise, and make modifications as needed. These skills also enable scientists to be self-sufficient and reduce the need for outsourcing or relying on others for technical support.

5. How can I apply practical electronic and mechanical skills in my research?

Practical electronic and mechanical skills can be applied in various ways in research, depending on the specific field. They can be used to build custom equipment or prototypes, create data collection systems, design sensors, and much more. These skills can also be utilized to modify existing equipment or troubleshoot issues, making research more efficient and effective.