Uncovering the Speed of a Leap: Salmon's 3.56m Jump

• Thread starter sundrops
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jump Speed
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a salmon swimming up a river to its spawning grounds and trying to determine its speed when emerging from the water after a 3.56m jump. The formula Y = Yo + VYo(t) + (0.5)(a)(t)^2 is mentioned but cannot be used due to a lack of information. The conversation then provides hints and equations to help solve the problem, with the final answer being 8.35m/s for the initial vertical velocity. However, the answer was incorrect and the person is unsure of where they went wrong.
sundrops
Salmon swimming up a river to their spawning grounds, leap over all sorts of obtacles. The unofficial salmon-altitude record is a 3.56m jump. Assuming that the salmon took off at a 45 degree angle, what was the speed at which it was emerging from the water?

Xo = 0m
Yo = 0m
Y = 3.56m
a = 9.8m/s^2
X = ?
v = ?

and I thought of using this formula : Y = Yo + VYo(t) + (0.5)(a)(t)^2
but I couldn't because I don't have t.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: it's a 45 degree angle, so you should see from a vector diagram that initially v_x = v_y. Calculate the initial vertical velocity required for it to reach a max height of 3.56 metres, and then use that (v0y) to get v0.

Big Hint...if the fish doesn't go any higher than 3.56 metres, then obviously its final velocity (what you have called v) is zero. So now, you want to find the change in vertical velocity. You know the vertical acceleration. You know the maximum height reached. The two unknowns are therefore v0y and t. If you also use the equation v = v0y +at...then you have two equations and two unknowns. The problem is finished.

Last edited:
here's what i did for this problem:

(Vy)^2 = (Vyo)^2 - 2g(y - yo)
0 = (Vyo)^2 - 2(9.8m/s^2)(3.5m-0m)
Vyo = 8.35m/s

my answer was incorrect however, I was wondering where I went wrong...

1. How high can a salmon jump?

The average height of a salmon's jump is around 3.56 meters (11.68 feet), which is quite impressive for a fish!

2. What allows a salmon to jump so high?

The powerful muscle contractions in a salmon's tail and fins provide the force needed to make a high jump. Additionally, their streamlined bodies and strong swimming abilities also contribute to their impressive leaping abilities.

3. How does the speed of a salmon's jump compare to other fish?

Salmon are known for their incredible speed and agility in the water. On average, their jump speed can reach up to 20 miles (32 km) per hour, making them one of the fastest jumping fish.

4. Do all salmon species have the same jumping abilities?

No, not all salmon species have the same jumping abilities. For example, Chinook salmon are known for their powerful jumps, while Chum salmon have a lower jumping ability.

5. What is the purpose of a salmon's jump?

There are several reasons why salmon jump. One of the main reasons is to navigate through challenging obstacles, such as waterfalls or rapids, during their migration. They also use jumping as a way to catch prey or to escape from predators. In some cases, salmon may also jump to communicate with other fish or to attract a mate.