Setting Up G95 Fortran Compiler for Cygwin

In summary, in order to compile fortran files using cygwin, you need to install both 'cygwin' and 'g95' Fortran compiler. After successfully installing cygwin, you can download and install 'g95' by choosing "Self-extracting Cygwin x86" from the G95 download page.
ABell7833
I was given a CD with fortran files as part of my senior year project
(biology major here), that said in order to compile the code (using
cygwin), to install 'cygwin' and 'g95' Fortran compiler. I think i got
the 'cygwin' succesfully installed (after watching numerous youtube
videos) on my Windows Vista (added it to 'path' variable in
Environmental Variables). But when it comes to g95 i am confused, what
to install (there are so many packages/binaries on G95 website)? It
mentions about 'minGW' on the G95 website, would i still need 'minGW'
if i installed cygwin?

can you please help me in getting 'g95' compatible with 'cygwin' ?

Thanks,
Amanda

Computer science news on Phys.org
It seems you have to go to the G95 download page, and choose "Self-extracting Cygwin x86". After the download, just execute the archive to get the G95 installed in your Cygwin.
The link:
http://ftp.g95.org/g95-Cygwin.exe

PS: Call the binary "g95-Cygwin.exe" FROM a cygwin prompt.

Last edited:

1. What is the G95 Fortran Compiler?

The G95 Fortran Compiler is an open-source compiler that is used for compiling Fortran programs. It is compatible with various operating systems, including Cygwin, which is a Unix-like environment for Windows.

2. Why do I need to set up the G95 Fortran Compiler for Cygwin?

You need to set up the G95 Fortran Compiler for Cygwin in order to compile and run Fortran programs on your Windows system. Cygwin provides a Unix-like environment, which is required for the G95 compiler to work properly.

3. How do I set up the G95 Fortran Compiler for Cygwin?

To set up the G95 Fortran Compiler for Cygwin, you will need to download and install the Cygwin environment first. Then, you can download and install the G95 compiler from the official website. Once installed, you will need to add the path to the G95 executable to your system's PATH variable.

4. Are there any prerequisites for setting up the G95 Fortran Compiler for Cygwin?

Yes, there are a few prerequisites for setting up the G95 Fortran Compiler for Cygwin. You will need to have a working internet connection in order to download the necessary files. Additionally, you will need to have a basic understanding of how to use the command line and navigate through directories.

5. Can I use the G95 Fortran Compiler for Cygwin for commercial purposes?

Yes, you can use the G95 Fortran Compiler for Cygwin for commercial purposes. The G95 compiler is released under the GNU General Public License, which allows for both personal and commercial use of the software.