Windows 8 & IE10: Microsoft's Newest Offerings

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary, Microsoft is releasing Windows 8, which is its most tested operating system ever, three years after launching Windows 7. The release also includes the newest version of Internet Explorer, IE10, which has a "do not track" feature turned on by default. However, some individuals are skeptical about the effectiveness of this feature and prefer using alternative browsers with security add-ons. There are also concerns about compatibility issues for developers and their programs. Some people are not enthusiastic about the new look of Windows 8, which they believe is more suited for tablet devices.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
MS is rolling out Windows 8, three years after lauching Win7, and also IE10.

Microsoft previews Windows 8 operating system
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18288710

"Consumers can now download the release preview of Windows 8, a system which Microsoft says is its most tested operating system ever."

"IE 10 will be the first version of the browser with "do not track" turned on by default, meaning users can easily decide not to accept cookies." That's a feature I'd like.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I wonder what will stop working now. Being a developer and selling programs for Windows means troubles sleeping each time new Windows version is launched.

Borek said:
I wonder what will stop working now. Being a developer and selling programs for Windows means troubles sleeping each time new Windows version is launched.
Which is why I'm glad that I program in Java.

Borek said:

I am not really a fan of the new look for windows 8 .. I think it is too suited for tablet devices with the huge windows.. Not really excited about it.

The problem with "Do Not Track" is that the advertisers have to honor the setting. I'd much prefer Firefox with the appropriate security add-ons (e.g. NoScript, AdBlock Plus, Ghostery, Cookie Monster, Perspectives, Ref Control (IIRC), HTTPS Everywhere, etc.)

1. What is Windows 8?

Windows 8 is the latest operating system developed by Microsoft. It is designed to work on both traditional desktop and laptop computers, as well as touch-based devices like tablets.

2. What are the key features of Windows 8?

Windows 8 has a new user interface called the "Metro" interface, which features live tiles and a touch-friendly design. It also has improved performance, faster boot times, and a new app store.

3. What is IE10 and how is it different from previous versions?

IE10 is the latest version of Microsoft's web browser, Internet Explorer. It has a sleeker design, improved performance, and better HTML5 support compared to previous versions. It also has enhanced security features.

4. Can I still use desktop applications on Windows 8?

Yes, Windows 8 still allows users to run desktop applications. However, they may need to be updated to work with the new operating system.

5. Is it necessary to upgrade to Windows 8 and IE10?

No, it is not necessary to upgrade to Windows 8 and IE10. However, if you want to take advantage of the new features and improvements, it may be worth considering. It is also important to note that support for older versions may eventually be phased out by Microsoft.