Why Do We See So Many Gamma Ray Bursts?

In summary, GRBs are a collimated jet of material that produce a lot of gamma rays. They are usually detected at redshifts in excess of z = 9, and we see about one per day. The number of GRBs that miss us is very small, and the probability of being in the beam is calculated to be 1/288.
SHISHKABOB
So, if my understanding of GRBs is correct, they are a collimated jet of material that produces a lot of gamma rays.

So my question is, don't these have to be pointing right at us for us to see them? If so, then why do we see so many? I think it's at around at least one per day, the last time I checked.

Does this mean that there are *a lot* more that we aren't seeing? Or do I have a misunderstanding of how we are able to see them?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
GRB's are so bright they are detectable throughout the observable universe. They have been detected at redshifts in excess of z = 9. Supernova, by comparison, are only detectable up to about z = 2. The beaming idea is just one possible explanation among several.

right but if they're beamed, then doesn't that mean that they have to be pointed at us for us to see them?

They do have to be aimed at us for us to see them. The answer to your question gives a feeling for just how large the universe is. Supernovae go off at the rate of about 1 per galaxy per 100 years. Since there are about 10^11 galaxies in the observable universe, that means there are about 100,000 supernovae per day in the observable universe. We think only about 1 in 1000 of these have the right conditions to produce a GRB, and only about 1 in 100 of these are aimed at us, so we see about one per day. These are very rough numbers, but you get the idea.

okay, that's what I thought. I just wanted to make sure I had the right idea about how "common" they are. I put common in quotes because I guess they're only really common when we're talking about the whole observable universe.

SHISHKABOB said:
okay, that's what I thought. I just wanted to make sure I had the right idea about how "common" they are. I put common in quotes because I guess they're only really common when we're talking about the whole observable universe.

Also these sorts of rough guesses are good examples of why "beaming" makes sense. You can do rough numbers about how many GRB we expect to see, and they are more or less how many we do see.

shouldn't the number of bursts that miss us be a lot larger than the number that miss us? more than 1 to 100, I mean.

Unless the beams of gamma rays are very "wide", then shouldn't it be really easy for them to miss us? Or is it that the beam spreads out over long distances, similar to how lasers spread out?

I would imagine that the beam would only be as wide as a large star, since that's what forms them (according to the theory), right? So unless it spreads out as it travels, then it should be really easy to miss us, and thus the number of them that hit us should be very very very small.

This paper gives the distribution of opening angles in Figure 3. The opening angle is typically about 10 degrees. It is a fixed angle, so of course the beam spreads as you get further away. We can calculate the probability of being in the beam as follows: If the beam has an opening angle of 10 degrees (1/6 radian), this is a half-angle of 5 degrees (1/12 radian). So the solid angle of one beam is about pi*(1/12^2) steradians. Since there are two beams, and 4*pi steradians in the sphere, the probability of a given point being in the beam is about

P = (2*pi/144)/(4*pi) = 1/288

So maybe my 1/100 chance of being in the beam should have been 1/300, but I was just giving rough order of magnitude numbers, since there are many uncertainties.

This all assumes GRB's are beamed emissions, which is probable, but, by no means certain.

1. Why are gamma ray bursts so common?

Gamma ray bursts (GRBs) are actually not as common as other astronomical phenomena, such as supernovae. However, they are still observed quite frequently due to their high energy and ability to be detected from great distances. GRBs are thought to occur when a massive star collapses or when two neutron stars collide, which can happen fairly often in the vast expanse of the universe.

2. How are gamma ray bursts detected?

Gamma ray bursts are typically detected by instruments on satellites or spacecraft designed specifically to study high-energy radiation. These instruments are highly sensitive and can detect even the faintest bursts of gamma rays. Additionally, ground-based telescopes can also detect afterglows of GRBs in other wavelengths of light, such as X-rays and visible light.

3. What causes gamma ray bursts?

The exact cause of gamma ray bursts is still not fully understood, but it is believed that they are produced by the collapse of massive stars or the merger of two neutron stars. During these events, huge amounts of energy are released, including gamma rays, which are the most energetic form of electromagnetic radiation.

4. Are gamma ray bursts dangerous to Earth?

Fortunately, GRBs are typically not dangerous to Earth. This is because they are typically observed in distant galaxies, billions of light years away. However, if a GRB were to occur in our own galaxy, it could potentially have harmful effects on Earth's atmosphere and life forms. But the chances of this happening are extremely low.

5. How do gamma ray bursts relate to other astronomical events?

Gamma ray bursts are often associated with other astronomical events, such as supernovae and black holes. They are also thought to be related to the formation of new stars and the evolution of galaxies. Studying GRBs can provide valuable insights into these cosmic processes and help us better understand the universe.