Calculating Spectral Exitance for Planck's Law & Blackbody

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Planck's Law and a blackbody to find the spectral exitance and the average spectral exitance over a small, finite spectral band. The speaker is interested in finding the area under the curve generated by a blackbody at a given temperature for a finite lambda range and compares this to the solution obtained from a definite integral. However, it is determined that this is not possible without computer software and the speaker will study more about numerical analysis and Debye integrals.
cant_stop_shaking
Hello,

My question is in regards to Planck's Law and a blackbody:

For the single lambda case I can readily find the spectral exitance. Alternately, if I substitute to create an integral in the form of x^3 / (e^x - 1) and integrate over all lambda, I reach Stefan-Boltzmann. No problems there, but I am really interested in finding the (average?) spectral exitance over a small, finite spectral band. Any tips on how to go about this?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
i am not quite sure what your question is, but it seems to me you are looking for the answer of this integral:
[tex] \int_{b}^a \frac{x^3}{e^x-1} dx [/tex],
the above integral has no exact solution... unless a=0, b=infinity, or a=b... the best you could do is use numerical analysis...

If you don't have a computer software to give you the result,learn that Debye integral ([itex] D_{3} [/itex]) values are tabulated...

Daniel.

Thank you both for your quick responses. To state my question more directly: "What is the area under the curve generated by a blackbody at some given temperature for some finite lambda range?" (Say in the visible region only.)

I can generate an approximate answer by using small increments of area and summing, but I wanted to compare my answer the solution obtained from a definite integral. However, from your answers I believe it is not possible (I do not have any computer software - just pencil and paper!).

I have taken your advice and will study more about numerical analysis and Debye integrals. Thank you again for your help.

1. What is Planck's Law and how does it relate to blackbody radiation?

Planck's Law is a formula that describes the spectral exitance (or intensity) of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a blackbody at a given temperature. It is derived from the principles of quantum mechanics and helps explain the observed behavior of blackbody radiation.

2. How do you calculate spectral exitance using Planck's Law?

The formula for calculating spectral exitance using Planck's Law is: E(λ,T) = (2πhc²/λ⁵) * [1/(e^(hc/λkT) - 1)], where E(λ,T) is the spectral exitance, λ is the wavelength, T is the temperature, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and k is the Boltzmann constant.

3. What is the significance of the variables in the Planck's Law formula?

The variables in the Planck's Law formula have specific meanings and units. Planck's constant (h) is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics, the speed of light (c) is the speed of electromagnetic radiation in a vacuum, and the Boltzmann constant (k) is a fundamental constant in thermodynamics. The temperature (T) is measured in Kelvin, and the wavelength (λ) is measured in meters.

4. How does the spectral exitance change with temperature according to Planck's Law?

As the temperature of a blackbody increases, the spectral exitance also increases. This is because higher temperatures cause more energetic and shorter-wavelength radiation to be emitted. The peak of the spectral exitance curve also shifts towards shorter wavelengths as the temperature increases.

5. Can Planck's Law be applied to calculate the spectral exitance of objects other than blackbodies?

No, Planck's Law is only applicable to blackbodies, which are ideal objects that absorb and emit all wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation. Real objects, such as planets and stars, do not behave as perfect blackbodies and therefore cannot be accurately described by Planck's Law.