Need help rotating a parabola on cartesian coordinate system

In summary, the conversation is about rotating a parabola on a cartesian coordinate system without using piecewise or inverse functions. The suggested approach is to use translations and deformations, and someone mentions using linear algebra and a rotation matrix to transform the parabola. Another person suggests representing the function parametrically. There is also a mention of a "Math Processing Error" but it is later resolved.
mesa
Gold Member
Okay I need to rotate a parabola on a cartesian coordinate system, y=x^2 by 90 degrees about the origin (either direction) without using piecewise, or inverse functions. Basically I am trying to use translations and deformations to accomplish this.

Anyone thoughts?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me.

How much experience do you have with linear algebra? Consider a rotation matrix; can you think of a way to it use to transform your parabola? Maybe try representing your function parametrically.

Number Nine said:
Looks fine to me.

How much experience do you have with linear algebra? Consider a rotation matrix; can you think of a way to it use to transform your parabola? Maybe try representing your function parametrically.

It just started working, I can see it now.

Not familiar with this, is there a non calculus solution?

1. How do I rotate a parabola on a cartesian coordinate system?

To rotate a parabola on a cartesian coordinate system, you will need to use a rotation matrix. This matrix will involve using the cosine and sine of the desired rotation angle. You will also need to translate the parabola to the origin before rotating it, and then translate it back to its original position after the rotation.

2. Can I rotate a parabola by any angle?

Yes, you can rotate a parabola by any angle using the rotation matrix method. However, keep in mind that the shape and position of the parabola will change depending on the angle of rotation.

3. Do I need any special software or tools to rotate a parabola?

No, you do not need any special software or tools to rotate a parabola on a cartesian coordinate system. Basic knowledge of algebra and trigonometry is sufficient to perform the rotation using the rotation matrix method.

4. Can I rotate a parabola on a 3-dimensional coordinate system?

Yes, you can rotate a parabola on a 3-dimensional coordinate system using the same rotation matrix method. The only difference is that the rotation matrix will involve three dimensions instead of two.

5. Are there any other methods for rotating a parabola on a cartesian coordinate system?

Yes, there are other methods for rotating a parabola, such as using parametric equations or graphing software. However, the rotation matrix method is the most commonly used and efficient method for rotating a parabola on a cartesian coordinate system.