What's the worst that could happen?

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary: I don't have Avida yet.In summary, the article discusses the evolution of an organism that can carry out an "equals" routine, and the creepy stuff that can happen when scientists try to stop the process. The article also mentions that someone is working on an application called Avida that can help with the evolution process.
tribdog
I just got the newest Discover magazine and it has an article about about evolution and a computer program called Avida. Avida makes digital organisms that can make digital copies of itself. Mutations occur just like in DNA, and you can reward certain mutations by letting those organisms replicate a little bit faster. I guess it has really proved evolution beyond a shadow of a doubt. When scientists tried to evolve an organism that could carry out an "equals" routine they succeeded 50 times in 50 experiments. Without the rewards an equals command occurred 0 out of 50 tries.
When they tried to stop evolution by killing off any organisms that appeared to have evolved something beneficial the creepy stuff started happening. The organisms evolved the ability to know when they were being looked at and stop displaying their new ability until they were no longer being examined.
I'm in the process of downloading Avida right now and am about 91% done. I just hope I don't evolve something that eats RAM or thinks HTTP stands for Here's The Tasty Portions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dont do it Trib! didn't you watch 'The Terminator' or 'The Matrix' movies. It's going to take over the world!

Cool, I'm going to look into this and see what happens as well! Thanx Trib! :biggrin:

I am so all over this man.

I could spend days toying with it. And i will :devil:

Behold i am god, with the power to control evolution! :biggrin:

You guys are scaring me. The future of the world in the hands of tribdog, polyb and franznietzsche?

Evo said:
You guys are scaring me. The future of the world in the hands of tribdog, polyb and franznietzsche?

MWWAAHAHAHAHAHA! :devil:

Now I can live out my supreme vision of 'The Lawnmower
Man'! :rofl:

It only took 17821 computer cycles (don't ask, I don't know) for me to evolve something that recognizes the phrase "Tribdog is God"

up to 168999 trying to evolve something that believes it.

just kidding

1. What is the worst case scenario?

The worst case scenario refers to the most extreme or undesirable outcome of a situation. It is the outcome that is considered to be the most negative or harmful.

2. How likely is the worst case scenario to happen?

The likelihood of the worst case scenario happening depends on various factors such as the situation, the environment, and the actions taken to prevent it. It is important to assess the probability of the worst case scenario occurring and take necessary precautions to minimize the risk.

3. Can we prevent the worst case scenario from happening?

In some cases, it may be possible to prevent the worst case scenario from happening by taking preventive measures and implementing safety protocols. However, in certain situations, the worst case scenario may be unavoidable.

4. What are the potential consequences of the worst case scenario?

The potential consequences of the worst case scenario can vary depending on the situation. It could range from minor inconveniences to major disasters. It is important to consider the potential consequences and plan accordingly to mitigate any potential harm.

5. How can we prepare for the worst case scenario?

Preparation for the worst case scenario involves understanding the potential risks, having contingency plans in place, and being ready to take action in case it does occur. It is important to regularly review and update emergency plans to ensure preparedness for any potential worst case scenarios.