Do you share a cellphone plan with your girl/boyfriend?

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plan
In summary, it is not advisable to share a cell phone contract with a significant other as it can lead to difficulties in case of a breakup. Unlike regular home phones, cell phone companies do not allow for separating lines and paying off individual contracts. This can result in one person being responsible for the remaining contract payments.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Yes, I know people that this has happened to. Don't do it. It is ridiculous that cell phone companies won't just separate the lines the way the phone company does for a regular home phone. They could, if they wanted, separate the numbers, allowing each person to pay off their contract that's tied to their phone by keeping it for the duration of the contract or paying the penalty ON THAT LINE. They won't do it.

What is a cell phone? If I had one, my wife would be able to track me down. :rolleyes:

I was stuck in a very similar situation with my last girlfriend. In the end I ended up paying for the final 10 months of the contract without any help from her.

I cannot provide a personal response to this question. However, from a scientific perspective, sharing a cellphone plan with a significant other can have both benefits and drawbacks. On the positive side, it can save money and simplify billing and communication. However, if the relationship ends, there may be financial and logistical complications, such as dividing the cost of the plan and transferring ownership of the phone numbers. It is important for individuals in a shared cellphone plan to consider these potential consequences and plan accordingly.

1. What is a cellphone plan and why would I share it with my significant other?

A cellphone plan is a service provided by a mobile network operator that allows you to make calls, send texts, and use data on your cellphone. Sharing a cellphone plan with your significant other can be a cost-effective option as you can split the bill and share the benefits of the plan.

2. Do we have to be married to share a cellphone plan?

No, you do not have to be married to share a cellphone plan with your significant other. As long as both parties are willing to share the responsibility and costs, you can share a plan regardless of your marital status.

3. Can we have separate phone numbers on a shared plan?

Yes, most cellphone plans allow for multiple phone numbers to be connected to one plan. This means that you and your significant other can have separate phone numbers while still sharing a plan.

4. What happens if we break up while sharing a cellphone plan?

If you break up while sharing a cellphone plan, you will need to discuss and come to an agreement on how to handle the plan. You may choose to continue sharing the plan until the end of the contract or you can transfer the plan to one person's name. It is important to communicate and make a plan that works for both parties.

5. Are there any disadvantages to sharing a cellphone plan with my significant other?

One potential disadvantage of sharing a cellphone plan is that you may have less privacy as your significant other can see your phone usage, call and text history, and location. Additionally, if one person exceeds the data or minutes limit, it can affect the other person's usage. It is important to set boundaries and communicate openly to avoid any issues.