Using Stress/Strain Curve to Find Yield Strength and Modulus of Elasticity

In summary, the yield strength is found by taking the slope of the linear portion of the plot and offsetting it 0.2% on the x-axis. Thanks for the clarification!
tesla93
Hey guys,

I recently did a compression lab with different materials (wood and pvc pipe) and I have to plot the stress/strain curves given the data collected, as well as find yield strength (0.2% offset), ultimate compressive strength, and modulus of elasticity. I've already calculated stress and strain and plotted the data for one of them. I just wanted to make sure I was doing everything right. So:

Yield Strength @ 0.2% Offset: from what I understood, I take the slope of the curve (before it peaks) and draw a line with the same slope, but starting at 0.2 on the y-axis instead of 0, and wherever it intersects with the original graph is my yield strength

Ultimate Compressive Strength: I'm not too sure about this, but I assume that the highest peak on the graph is the ultimate compressive strength, because it is the most stress it can endure before failing. Could someone confirm this/explain the theory if I'm wrong about this? And if I'm wrong, is there a way to calculate this?

Modulus of Elasticity: This is equal to E = (F)(L1)/(A)(L2) where:
F = the force applied to the material
A = the cross-section area through which the force was applied to the material
L2 = amount the length of the material changes when the force is applied
L1 = original length of the material (before the force was applied)

For Modulus of Elasticity,is L2 the final length that it changed when force was applied?

Sorry that these are kinda dumb questions, I was out of the province when the material was covered in my lectures. Thanks for looking!

Physics news on Phys.org
The modulus of elasticity is defined as the ratio of the stress to strain, so from your stress-strain curve, the gradient of the linear region would give you the value for E of the material.

The modulus of elasticity is defined as the ratio of the stress to strain, so from your stress-strain curve, the gradient of the linear region would give you the value for E of the material.

So then...the slope of the linear portion of the curve?

tesla93 said:
So then...the slope of the linear portion of the curve?

Yes.

Awesome, thanks! :)

tesla93 said:
Hey guys,
Yield Strength @ 0.2% Offset: from what I understood, I take the slope of the curve (before it peaks) and draw a line with the same slope, but starting at 0.2 on the y-axis instead of 0, and wherever it intersects with the original graph is my yield strength

The 0.2% offset is done by taking the slope of the linear component of the plot and offsetting it 0.2% on the x-axis. See here for pictorial description: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Metal_yield.svg&page=1. You can then read the stress value at the intersection point.

Cheers!

1. What is a stress/strain curve?

A stress/strain curve is a graphical representation of the relationship between stress (force applied per unit area) and strain (change in length per unit length) of a material. It shows how a material behaves under different levels of stress, and can provide important information about its mechanical properties.

2. How is yield strength determined from a stress/strain curve?

Yield strength is the point on a stress/strain curve where a material begins to deform plastically (permanently) under stress. It can be determined by finding the stress at which the curve deviates from its initial linear behavior. This is known as the yield point or yield strength.

3. What is the modulus of elasticity and how is it calculated from a stress/strain curve?

The modulus of elasticity, also known as Young's modulus, is a measure of a material's stiffness or ability to resist deformation under stress. It is calculated by taking the slope of the initial linear portion of the stress/strain curve. The higher the modulus of elasticity, the stiffer the material.

4. How does the shape of a stress/strain curve differ for different materials?

The shape of a stress/strain curve can vary greatly depending on the material being tested. For example, brittle materials such as ceramics will have a steep linear portion that quickly deviates into a sharp drop, indicating a lack of plastic deformation. Ductile materials, on the other hand, will have a longer linear portion followed by a gradual curve indicating more plastic deformation before failure.

5. What other information can be obtained from a stress/strain curve?

In addition to yield strength and modulus of elasticity, a stress/strain curve can provide valuable information about a material's ultimate strength, ductility, and toughness. It can also be used to compare the mechanical properties of different materials and determine their suitability for specific applications.