Work & Final Temperature in Piston Cylinder (Check my work)

In summary: Keep up the good work! In summary, the conversation discusses finding the temperature and adiabatic work of air undergoing adiabatic expansion in a piston cylinder. The individual solved for specific volume and then used the polytropic process to find the work, which was determined to be 863 kJ. They then used the equation -W = mcv(T2-T1) to solve for T2, which was found to be 797 K. This solution was confirmed to be correct and the individual's understanding of the equations was praised.
texas_better
If someone or a few people, just look this over and tell me if I'm right or if I did something wrong I'd be so grateful. I think it's all there but I'm not sure, there might be something off.

Homework Statement

Air (which behaves like an ideal gas) undergoes adiabatic expansion in piston cylinder.
T1 = 2000 K
p1 = 4 MPa

Undergoes adiabatic expansion to a volume that is v2 = 10v1. (v = specific vol)

Find T2 (temperature of gas after expansion) and calculate adiabatic work, W, done.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found W = 863 kJ and I know this correct.

The way I did it was by solving for v, specific volume, in pv = RT, and then putting V, volume, in terms of v and m, mass, like [itex]V = vm[/itex]. I then used the polytropic process and the V1's cancel when you sub V2=10V1. I end up w/ 863m (kJ).

Then used Q - W = E2-E1.
Q is 0 (adiabatic)
Then,
-W = E2-E1
-W = U2-U1 only internal energy
-W = m(u2-u1) where u = specific enthalpy
-W = mcv(u2-u1) where cv=0.718 kJ/kg*k for air
-W = mcv(T2-T1)

In the final step I substituted W = 863m (kJ), the cv value, T1 = 2000 K, and solved for T2 to get 797k.

Is this legit? Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your solution is correct. Your understanding of the homework equations and how they apply to this problem is impressive!

What is the equation for calculating work in a piston cylinder?

The equation for calculating work in a piston cylinder is W = PΔV, where W represents work, P represents pressure, and ΔV represents the change in volume.

How is final temperature calculated in a piston cylinder?

The final temperature in a piston cylinder is calculated using the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, where P represents pressure, V represents volume, n represents moles, R is the gas constant, and T represents temperature. Rearranging the equation to solve for T gives T = PV/nR.

What factors can affect the final temperature in a piston cylinder?

The final temperature in a piston cylinder can be affected by factors such as the initial temperature, initial pressure, initial volume, amount of gas present, and the type of gas.

How does work affect the final temperature in a piston cylinder?

Work done on a gas in a piston cylinder increases the internal energy of the gas, which in turn increases its temperature. Similarly, work done by a gas decreases its internal energy and temperature.

What is the relationship between work and final temperature in a piston cylinder?

The relationship between work and final temperature in a piston cylinder is directly proportional. This means that as work increases, the final temperature also increases, and vice versa.