Help Understanding Wiring Diagrams.

In summary, the conversation discusses using a stepper motor to generate power, specifically in either bipolar parallel or bipolar series configurations. The motor's specifications list different current outputs for each configuration. The conversation then delves into the wiring and voltage doubler circuit, with the question of whether the circuit would combine the phases to equal double the amperage. The expert confirms that this is correct, but also mentions that a stepper motor may not be the most suitable for generating power.
MachX
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone can help me interpret these wiring schematics. As some know, I am trying to use a stepper motor to generate power. The motor can be wired in both unipolar and bipolar configurations. From my research, it seems to get the most power a Bipolar configuration would be best. The motor's specifications list:

Bipolar Parallel current = 1.70A/phase
Bipolar Series current = 0.85A/Phase

From what a gather the motor's wiring in either (Bipolar Series) or (Bipolar parallel) takes place by combining leads on the motor before the final set of two pairs of 2 leads, reaches each rectifier. I am under the impression that the voltage doubler circuit is in series and that it rectifies and combines each phase into one output. That said (disregarding rectifier drop) Would this voltage doubler circuit combine the phases to equal double the amperage of each phase? in either orientation (1.70A or 0.85A) to equal (3.4A or 1.7A) As a final DC output?

And Am I correct that the series or parallel motor connections take place at the motor motor before the rectifier to give me either 0.85A/phase or 1.70A/phase? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• motor_coil_configurations.jpg
    motor_coil_configurations.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 447
  • stepper-motor-voltage-doubler-circuit.jpg
    stepper-motor-voltage-doubler-circuit.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
MachX said:
And Am I correct that the series or parallel motor connections take place at the motor motor before the rectifier to give me either 0.85A/phase or 1.70A/phase? Any advice greatly appreciated.
Yes, that's correct. However, I've never heard of a stepper motor used to generate power.

If you are turning the shaft of the motor mechanically, and expecting to generate electric power, a stepper motor is not the appropriate kind of motor. A simple DC motor is more appropriate. Or even an AC permanent magnet motor.

1. What is a wiring diagram?

A wiring diagram is a visual representation of the connections and layout of an electrical system. It uses symbols and color-coding to show how wires and components are connected and enables users to understand how the system works.

2. Why are wiring diagrams important?

Wiring diagrams are important because they provide a detailed and accurate representation of an electrical system, which is essential for understanding and troubleshooting any issues that may arise. They also serve as a guide for technicians when installing or repairing electrical equipment.

3. How do I read a wiring diagram?

To read a wiring diagram, you need to understand the symbols and color-coding used. Typically, the symbols and colors are explained in a legend or key on the diagram. You should also follow the flow of the diagram, starting from the power source and following the connections to the various components.

4. What are the common symbols used in wiring diagrams?

Some common symbols used in wiring diagrams include lines, which represent wires, and various shapes that represent different components such as batteries, switches, and resistors. These symbols may vary depending on the type of diagram and the standards used.

5. Can I create my own wiring diagrams?

Yes, you can create your own wiring diagrams using specialized software or by hand. However, it requires knowledge of electrical systems and the ability to accurately represent them visually. It is recommended to consult a professional if you are not familiar with wiring diagrams or electrical systems.