Calculate the surface and the angle of the figure below.

In summary, there are various methods for calculating the surface and angle of a figure, depending on the shape of the figure. Formulas and trigonometric functions can be used for more regular shapes, while irregular shapes may require breaking them into smaller shapes or using specialized formulas. It is important to accurately calculate these measurements in order to solve real-world problems and understand fundamental concepts in geometry and other scientific fields.
catala

Homework Statement

http://ima.cs-gamers.com.ar//images/490matjhs.jpg

I have to calculate the surface from the object and the angle alpha.

Homework Equations

[itex]A_{triangle} = \frac{b * h}{2} [/itex]

[itex] \frac{a}{\sin \alpha_1} = \frac{b}{\sin \alpha_2} [/itex]

Pythagorean Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated from differents methods, one with one rectangle and triangle. And the other form with dividing the object with two triangles.

Dividing the object in two triangles thus leaving:

The triangle with base (640) Can be that the angles of this triangle are 90 , 45 and 45?

Because if they are well the height gives a value of I 640, which in the drawing does not correspond

Help please

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
catala said:

Homework Statement

http://ima.cs-gamers.com.ar//images/490matjhs.jpg

I have to calculate the surface from the object and the angle alpha.

Homework Equations

[itex]A_{triangle} = \frac{b * h}{2} [/itex]

[itex] \frac{a}{\sin \alpha_1} = \frac{b}{\sin \alpha_2} [/itex]

Pythagorean Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated from differents methods, one with one rectangle and triangle.
This is the simpler way, with a right triangle on the left and a rectangle on the right. It's very easy to get one of the legs of the right triangle. A little right triangle trig will then get you the side opposite the angle α.
catala said:
And the other form with dividing the object with two triangles.

Dividing the object in two triangles thus leaving:

The triangle with base (640)

Can be that the angles of this triangle are 90 , 45 and 45?

Because if they are well the height gives a value of I 640, which in the drawing does not correspond

Help please

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done the following:

[itex] \frac{500}{\sin 90º} = \frac{400}{\sin \beta} \to \beta = 53, 13º [/itex]

[itex] 90º + 53,13º + \alpha = 180º \to \alpha = 36,87º[/itex]

[itex] \sin 36,87º = \frac{h}{500} \to h = 300 [/itex]

[itex] A_{triangle} = \frac{b*h}{2} = \frac{400 \cdot 300}{2} = 60000m^2 [/itex]

[itex] A_{rectangle} = a * h = 640 * 300 = 192000 m^2 [/itex]

[itex] A_T = 252000m^2[/itex]

Is that correct?

Last edited:
Looks good.

You could have saved yourself some work by noting that the triangle is a right triangle. You know the base (400 m.) and the hypotenuse (500 m.), so cos(α) = 400/500 = 4/5 ##\Rightarrow ## α = cos-1(4/5) ≈ 36.87°.

1. What is the formula for calculating the surface of a figure?

The formula for calculating the surface of a figure is different depending on the shape of the figure. For example, the formula for a rectangle is length x width, while the formula for a circle is π x radius squared. It's important to know the formula for the specific shape you are working with in order to accurately calculate the surface.

2. How do you find the angle of a figure?

To find the angle of a figure, you will need to know the measurements of the sides and/or angles of the figure. You can use trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, to calculate the angles of certain shapes. In some cases, you may also need to use the Pythagorean theorem to find missing angles.

3. Can you use a protractor to measure the angles of a figure?

Yes, a protractor is a useful tool for measuring angles in a figure. However, it may not be accurate for more complex shapes. In those cases, it's best to use mathematical formulas to calculate the angles.

4. How do you calculate the surface of irregular shapes?

Calculating the surface of irregular shapes can be challenging. One method is to break the shape into smaller, simpler shapes and calculate the surface of each one. Then, add the individual surfaces together to get the total surface of the irregular shape. There are also specialized formulas for calculating the surface of some irregular shapes, such as triangles and trapezoids.

5. Why is it important to calculate the surface and angle of a figure?

Calculating the surface and angle of a figure is important for various reasons. It can help in determining the amount of material needed for construction or manufacturing, in measuring distances and areas, and in solving real-world problems involving shapes and angles. Additionally, understanding the surface and angle of a figure is fundamental in geometry and other scientific fields.