Hamiltonian for 2 Particles with Angular Momentum

In summary, the Hamiltonian for two particles with angular momentum j_1 and j_2 is given by \hat{H} = \epsilon [ \hat{\bf{j}}_1 \times \hat{\bf{j}}_2 ]^2, where \epsilon is a constant. It can be shown that the Hamiltonian is a Hermitian scalar and the energy spectrum can be found by using the trick of expressing the dot product of two angular momentums as J_1\cdot\J_2=\frac{1}{2}((J_1+J_2)^2-J_1^2-J_2^2). This allows for easy handling of the operators and simplifying the Hamiltonian.
silmaril89

Homework Statement

The Hamiltonian for two particles with angular momentum [itex]j_1[/itex] and [itex]j_2[/itex] is given by:
[tex] \hat{H} = \epsilon [ \hat{\bf{j}}_1 \times \hat{\bf{j}}_2 ]^2, [/tex]
where [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is a constant. Show that the Hamiltonian is a Hermitian scalar and find the energy spectrum.

Homework Equations

Not really any specific to put here.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried simplifying the Hamiltonian using suffix notation with the Einstein summation convention. I was able to get the following:
[tex] \hat{H} = \epsilon [( \hat{\bf{j}}_1 \cdot \hat{\bf{j}}_1) ( \hat{\bf{j}}_2 \cdot \hat{\bf{j}}_2) - \hat{j}_{1 i} ( \hat{\bf{j}}_2 \cdot \hat{\bf{j}}_1) \hat{j}_{2 i}]. [/tex]

Now I have the problem that since [itex] \hat{j}_{2i} [/itex] doesn't commute with [itex] ( \hat{\bf{j}}_2 \cdot \hat{\bf{j}}_1) [/itex], I can't simplify the Hamiltonian further. I'm not sure what my next steps should be.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is quite a common trick for this kinds of things, you can always express the dot product of two angular momentums as

[itex]J_1\cdot\J_2=\frac{1}{2}((J_1+J_2)^2-J_1^2-J_2^2)[/itex]

The operators on the right hand side are easy to handle.

Hope this helps.

1. What is a Hamiltonian for 2 particles with angular momentum?

The Hamiltonian for 2 particles with angular momentum is a mathematical operator that describes the total energy of a system of two particles with rotational motion. It takes into account both the kinetic energy and the potential energy of the particles, as well as their individual angular momenta.

2. How is the Hamiltonian for 2 particles with angular momentum calculated?

The Hamiltonian for 2 particles with angular momentum can be calculated using the general formula: H = T + V, where T represents the kinetic energy and V represents the potential energy. For a system of two particles, the kinetic energy can be expressed as the sum of the individual kinetic energies of each particle, while the potential energy depends on the distance between the particles and the type of interaction between them.

3. What is the significance of the Hamiltonian in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the Hamiltonian is a fundamental concept that plays a central role in the calculation of the time evolution of a system. It is used to determine the possible states and energies of a system, as well as the probabilities of transitioning between these states. In the case of 2 particles with angular momentum, the Hamiltonian helps us understand the rotational dynamics of the system.

4. How does the Hamiltonian for 2 particles with angular momentum differ from that of a single particle?

The Hamiltonian for 2 particles with angular momentum is more complex than that of a single particle, as it takes into account the interactions and angular momenta of both particles. In addition, the energy levels and states of the system will be different from those of a single particle, as they will depend on the relative orientation and motion of the two particles.

5. Can the Hamiltonian for 2 particles with angular momentum be used to describe all types of particles?

Yes, the Hamiltonian for 2 particles with angular momentum is a general concept that can be applied to any type of particle, whether it is a fundamental particle like an electron or a composite particle like a molecule. However, the specific form and parameters of the Hamiltonian may vary depending on the type of particles and their interactions.